What brand would you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toshas79

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi I just became diver, and want to buy equipment but don't know which brand is good. I am looking to buy, regulators, BC, compiuter.

I might suggest going into your LDS (Local Diving Shop) and speaking with them about what brands they offer and service, as this is a major starting point. You can also look at online stores (Buy scuba gear, scuba diving and snorkeling equipment, and everything underwater from LeisurePro.com, Scuba.com Diving Portal - Scuba Gear, Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment, and others) to see what the different major options are out there.

What kind of diving are you planning on doing in the near future? Warm water vs. cold water to start with ...

Hi Toshas,

Welcome to Scubaboard!

Here's a little information that might be helpful.

Like chesch said type of diving is important. Also where you plan on diving is important. If you need work done on your regs while out of the country--some brands like scuba pro, aqualung are easier to service. If you can be specific regarding your gear needs and price range - you will probably receive clearer advice.

One important thing I can say in retrospect: If you love diving, then it's probably cheaper to buy good gear the first time around rather than buying cheap gear just to replace it later with better stuff.

When I was in your position, I did searches here on SB about buying items like masks, bc's and regulators--then did lots of reading. You'll find the same items recommended over and over - and usually it's for good reason.

A word of caution: there is lots of debate about buying life supporting gear like regs/computers at leisure pro. If you do a search on the topic, you will find plenty of information.

One important thing I can say in retrospect: If you love diving, then it's probably cheaper to buy good gear the first time around rather than buying cheap gear just to replace it later with better stuff.

What she said.

I will dive in wormer waters, and I want to buy good stuff the first time, and not planing on saving. I was looking to get SCUBAPRO, because that what my local diving shop offers, but first I want to do some research,

There are so many brands that are more than adequate. All of my student gear is either Zeagle or Oceanic. They produce high quality gear at a fair price.

what brand would you recommend.

I recommend Scubapro, Aeris.

none of the stuff I have owned except a Tusa guage has been junk. It will all work, the Scubapro Mk25 reg is a standard of most of the dive proffessionals I have seen in the field. must be a reason. My wife loves her scubapro mask over all the others (have about 8).

Scubapro is excellent eq, but can be pricey, especially if you purchase at an LDS - many reasons, and I don't want to open up that can of worms!

The majority of name brand eq is good - I happen to like Atomic (which was a split off from Scubapro, BTW by former Scubapro employees) but I don't like some offerings by Mares. A lot is personal preference, but some of it is matching the equipment w/ the task/diving at hand.

Its like they said about computers some years back "You will never get fired for purchasing IBM" - you will likely not regret Scubapro, but there are other certainly less expensive options.......

Like renting - the nice part about renting is you get to try out different eq - also, the more you dive, the more opportunity you have to ask other divers about their preferences.

Its not uncomon for a new diver to to buy equipment, then replace much of it w/in the 1st year or so when they get more experience - cheap gear isn't if you replace a lot of it w/in the next 6 - 9 months - point being you would be better off and far cheaper to bite the bullet the 1st go round.

The search function on this board is your friend - many forums dedicated to regulators, BC's, computers, gauges, etc - you could read for days - but there is a lot of good equipment, and many opinions about it.

Its a big decision, and expensive - good luck!

PS Be very careful if you are tempted to go the E bay, Craigs List, Garage Sales route - there are options not to pay retail, but for a brand new diver, I almost never recommend used eq.

Scubapro is great stuff. They have a good warranty and if thats what your local shop services then it just makes sense. Remember though that if you want to purchace Scubapro regs at Leisure Pro, they do not come with the warranty. You can get great deals at Leisure Pro but watch out for things like the warranties there.

I think there is a bit too much to learn here. You could read the threads for weeks and still not know what you want. And often, what you want and what you need are totally different things. I would recommend that you rent ALL your gear for the first 20 or 30 dives and dive with a lot of different more experienced divers and keep trying new gear. Talk to people, ask if they can tell you more about their equipment and why. Ask them what to look for when buying gear. Finally, when you feel you have enough info then make your decision :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom