What boat do I need !?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, lets talk about the elephant in the room - Law, particularly salvage law (state, federal, international) and treaties.
1. Treasure ownership. Just because it is at the bottom of the sea does not mean it is not owned by someone. Ships and their cargo belong to the ship owner, or in most cases to the insurance company that paid out the claim unless they have been "abandoned".
2. Once you find the treasure (long shot) you will need to properly claim the right to salvage (stake your claim) before someone else does. To quote from Mel Fishers website "Mel Fisher suffered many personal losses to keep his dream alive during his 16 year search and endured over 100 court battles which ended in victory in the US Supreme Court. Note SU Supreme Court decisions of May 2012 do not favor salvage: Publishied May 16, 2012 "The US Supreme Court on Monday declined to take up the appeal of American treasure hunters who were forced earlier this year to surrender $500 million in silver and gold coins they recovered from the wreck of a Spanish warship 3,000 feet deep in international waters." High court rejects stay in Spanish sunken treasure case - CNN.com
3. If the ship is a war grave, you may not desecrate it aka touch it.

Look at the true stories of people like Mel Fisher - the millions he spent finding treasuer and the milliions he spent in court to get a share of the treasure.

Dockage, $300 a month, gas 25-50 gallon a day, $100-200 a day, minor repairs and parts, $200-500 a month, metal detectors approx $1200 ea, blower and installation $3K-10k, dive gear-hookah gear-used $1500, lease $1k a year. In FL you will have to subcontract on an existing lease, no new recovery leases are being issued. Boat???? Lots of money going out, little if any coming in.

I was going to do the same thing when I was your age. I ended up going to work for NOAA, 30 years later, I'm retired, took a welding class and built my blower and I'm in the process of putting a new engine in my boat. I was going to start this year but my engine crapped out. The difference between now and when I was in my 20s is that I have a check coming in every month

I recommend "The Rainbow Chasers" by Tommy Gore and Terry Armstrong

Bob Weller has about 6 books out on the 1715 fleet, I recommend them all if you are planning on working the treasure coast

The way sub contracting works is that the state gets first pick of 20% off the top. The lease holder and the sub contractor usually split the remainder 50-50.

If you find 5 coins, the split would be state 1, lease holder two, you get two

Last edited:
LOL...Yes...a Jessica Alba or Kate Hudson clone would be nice.
Note: if your idea of rigorous research is to watch "Fool's Gold" and "Into the Blue", you may want to just get a job working for someone else.
There is a 26 foot dig boat w/twin small block Chevy's and mailboxes for sale along the highway here. It was donated to "Recycling Ministries" who has an 800 number listed online somewhere ...apparently someone could not wait long enough to sell it before leaving town after a season of blowing holes in the sand.

My best friend and I have recently been discussing taking some time away from the daily grind and pursuing a dream we've both had since we were kids.
We want to move to Florida and get into treasure diving, we're currently 20 and 22 and it seems that now is the best time to get into diving while we're still young. We both got our open water certificates last week and starting advanced open water next week followed by wreck diver, salvage diver, first aid diver and eventually somewhere down the road we'll get our master diver. So basically I'm asing for some help in figuring out what we'll need to become a successful crew (already have a local friend down there whos been a diver for 9 years. We're trying to figure out how much Money we need to get started.
Thanks!
Dillon.

Join the Navy as a diver and get paid to learn the job you are asking about. Do 20 yrs at it, now you have a paycheck every month there after just for breathing and can blow it how you want. Think its a BS route? You are going to work for 40 yrs no matter what. Why not make the first 20 pay you and the second 20 having other people pay you to do what you do - because they know you are trained by the best.

Or twiddle your life away working at low pay jobs, smoking crap cigarettes, getting stupid tatoos, and driving junk cars wishing you could do what you want.

No I'm not in the Navy or anything. Just old enough to be looking back at how I would do it if I were you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom