What are your personal limits as a solo diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bottomrunner:
I found out, in a regulator course, that the shop had just cleaned the hoses to make them look like they were serviced, and handed them back to me.
Now I trust no one with my gear, and it gives me peace of mind!

Sounds like you need to find a shop that you can trust, not all shops do sloppy/half *****ed work. PM me with the name of the shop please so, I don't fall in the same pit you did.

DMP:
Sounds like you need to find a shop that you can trust, not all shops do sloppy/half *****ed work. PM me with the name of the shop please so, I don't fall in the same pit you did.

Hi
I did find another shop
that is where I took the regulator courses
I became manager and service tec.
the old shop is no longer in buisness

when solo, i stay just infront of the resort down to 90ft , but 90% of the time i just spend it at 20ft. relaxing :O)

I don't alter my limits whether I am alone or not. If you do something with a buddy that you wouldn't do on your own, then I suggest that you are too reliant on the other guy, which, to me, isn't right. I am assuming that if you are diving solo, you are an experienced diver.

My diving is virtually all open water, with some wreck penetration. As others have mentioned, where there is a greater risk of entanglement, I would be more inclined to "share the wreck" with someone, but it is unlikely that we would dive as a "buddy pair" in the traditional sense. (If you've ever met the dudes I dive "with", you would understand why I dive alone!)

Virtually all of my diving is in the 100' to 180' range, which I do alone, other than my boat-tender side-kick. I frequently do 100'+ night dives on a favourite wreck in Tobermory (Arabia) and it is probably my all-time favourite dive. Nothing like midnight on the bottom. Some nights, when there is a full moon and the water is clear, I don't use my light, as there is enough ambient light from the moon to (just barely) illuminate the wreck... once my eyes get used to it. But I still carry at least two, and usually three lights anyway!

I dive solo in a local spring fed river and our local lake, which I am very familiar with the dive sites. I have been diving solo since 1983 and would limit myself to the depth of some grottos that I like to visit. Those ranged 70 to 80 feet depending on the level of the lake. Since alot of my solo diving is now done with my Drager Dolphin SCR, I have been to 120 feet. However, the best diving is 60-100 feet in our local lake so I stick to those depths.
It just really depends on what depth you feel comfortable. Just have redundency and be real careful out there.

I have only been diving solo once and that was last summer. I found the experience to be exhillerating. I plan to dive solo several times this spring and summer, all less than 50 feet in fresh water.

My personal limits as a Solo Diver based on conditions above and below surface. I probably dove 80-90% solo in warm and relatively cold (50-60F) water. Have been many times below 120' on reefs and wrecks (limited penetration).

I believe that everything is based on your risk tolerance, training and experience.

Dive within your own limits. :wink:

sfsusa:
I believe that everything based on your risk tolerance, training and experience. Dive within your own limits. :wink:

I'll second that one.....

My first solo was off of Fl. keys. We rented a small boat and I rolled off with a smile. My good friend decided to fish while I took a relaxing dive. No one to have to cling to or "babysit". That may sound harsh but every one of you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I love being a DM and helping/teaching people, but there are times when you just want to enjoy the scenery by yourself. My limits are regulated by my comfort and the conditions.

Back
Top Bottom