what are these two fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea_dragon

Reaction score
i caught these two fish... took the photos and released. can some one help me id them

blue-striped grunt

It doesn't look like a Blue Striped Grunt. But, I could be wrong. I'll look in my Fish ID book when I get home.

DennisW:
It doesn't look like a Blue Striped Grunt. But, I could be wrong. I'll look in my Fish ID book when I get home.
the one on the right looked like it belongs to the family of the grunt...

knotical:
blue-striped grunt
it is possible... i thought it was some kind of grunt

HappyFunBoater:
The left one is definitely a Lane Snapper.

The right one looks like a Grunt of some type.

TT
thanks..... for the info....

The fish on the right is a Sand Perch. I've only seen them off Venice Beach. It's a member of the Sea Bass family.

DennisW:
The fish on the right is a Sand Perch. I've only seen them off Venice Beach. It's a member of the Sea Bass family.
it was actually was collected in miami beach.... so they might be uncommon here i am not sure...

I didn’t think the eye or tail looked right for sand perch and thought young blue-striped grunt. But the bars certainly look like the sand perch, so DennisW is probably right. I bow to his superior identification skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom