What are these bag-like jellies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Besides the vampire squid cloak, we saw a couple dozen of these jellies at the surface. Netting one proved that they were indeed gelatinous. They ranged from ~8 to 16". Help would be greatly appreciated!

IDJelly2a.jpg

IDJelly2b.jpg

Got me stumped (not hard to do though).

colonial salp? especially that one little one with color? meh.. that was a guess.

The nearest thing I could guess is salps also. Where is that? I've seen them in the Philppines....not exactly like your pics though.

Looks like them lobate ctenophore things. The ones where the lobes look like giant wings. If you examine the pics you can make out the pattern pretty well for all the specimens. Some of them look a bit er... jacked up. Ha.

Thank you, archman! Found this 2007 paper, Feeding behavior of the ctenophore Thalassocalyce inconstans: revision of anatomy of the order Thalassocalycida. Holly F. Swift · William M. Hamner · Bruce H. Robison · Laurence P. Madin

The article may give us more insight - I regret not gearing up to get UW photos of these guys. Would have cleared things up a bit.

Did you see any ctenes on them?

Sure didn't, Dr. Bill, but then, we were looking down at them. What was remarkable was their size, and one of them was pretty darn hefty in the net. Didn't have the tank set up, and my rig was set up with a macro lens, or I would have jumped in the water. Excuses, excuses...

You and Phil have certainly had a few interesting discoveries lately, Merry!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom