What Angler fish??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmdasia

Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly what type of angler/frog fish this is? I have not been able to find it in my ID books.

Photo taken in Puerta Gallera, Philippines (OLY 4040. PT10, DS125, DX90 and INON 330)

Heres another one I have not been able to exactly match (Puerta Galler also) - look closely to see it..

He sure is an ugly little thing! Great Shot!

Here another saved with a little more resolution this time ......

Great photos,
I see alot of them here even in anilao batangas.
We just call them frog fish. I'm not so good at ID ing fish.
Jimmy Tan:wink:

Hi Cmdasia,
I just have one question. How do you find your Ds-125?
Does it work well during WA shots?
:wink:

The 125 is a good strobe, although the main reason I bought it was to use the optional slave sensor to attempt TTL with my 4040 - which turned out to be a bit of a disaster, I got so annoyed with it I just turned back to full manual (and I have one of the new corrected sensors not one of the old recall models).

I am in the odd situation whereby I use both an Ikelite and a Sea and Sea and there are things I like about each one over the other - the DS125 battery system is great, the battry disconnection system is fabulous, the aiming light is great, the recycle time is STUNNING although if you were using it with a digital camera the TTL function is very hit and miss (WA I am not sure about as I only really shoot macro to be 100% honest - although I am sure someone at at the www.wetpixel.com forum could answer this question directly), my strobe came with an ikelite arm included which is a piece of junk, I also have an ikelite tray for the PT10 (came with the strobe kit) which is so well designed that when shooting macro all the strobe controls are underneith the strobe rather than on top where they can be readilly accessed - this kind of poor design forethought annoys when I pay $1000 for something (but thats the try design rather than the strobe)

I also use a Sea and Sea DX90 - weight is perfect - sea and sea standard arms are useless, use of AA (recharge) batteries is a great boon, recycle time is crap, size is small (which is good for my macro, manual strobe strength adjust system is simply the best for bracketing - lack of an aiming light can be problematic for night dives (I have to tape a torch to it if using it as a primary strobe - at present thought I just use it for fill in at a very low power setting on slave because the ike is better [for me]) , the system of connecting to PT10 by a fibre optic cable is simple but a pain sometimes, there is no diffuser supplied for the system when using the fbre optic link.

I have used them both as primary strobes (although I now use the ike as prim and the sea as sec) - the ike is easier to use but to 100% honest the 12 strength power adjustment levels of the Sea and Sea have given me better photos - the power adjustment is a great system because its so much easier to bracket using the strobe than fiddling with aperture controls on the PT10 - obvioulsy with all that bracketing I also have a lot more "throwaways".

Which is my preferred strobe of the the two - the Ikelite without a doubt. What would I buy if I had my time and money again - neither - in a perfect world I would buy a SLR, shoot slides and have a larger strobe/s on a wired TTL connection (I would probably also look like a young Robert Redford and have Selma Hayek as a dive buddy ;^) and dive on the Pelagian year round)

cmdasia once bubbled...
I also use a Sea and Sea DX90 - weight is perfect - sea and sea standard arms are useless, use of AA (recharge) batteries is a great boon, recycle time is crap, size is small (which is good for my macro, manual strobe strength adjust system is simply the best for bracketing - lack of an aiming light can be problematic for night dives (I have to tape a torch to it if using it as a primary strobe - at present thought I just use it for fill in at a very low power setting on slave because the ike is better [for me]) , the system of connecting to PT10 by a fibre optic cable is simple but a pain sometimes, there is no diffuser supplied for the system when using the fbre optic link.

My YS90DX strobe came with a diffuser to be used with the fiber optic cable. I haven't found the fiber optic system to be a pain at all. In fact, not having to worry about a mechanical cable is a relief. Been there, done that. As for an aiming light, I keep a small light banded to the strobe. KISS principal in action!

Hi Dee,

My 90 came with two diffusers - one for use with the 90 operating as a slave flash (to another strobe without the fibre-optic cable attached) which works great but my diffuser with the fibre optic attachment hole has nothing in the middle - I am not 100% sure if it actually diffuses rather than just holds the FO cable in place - it has always been a bit of a confusion to me.

The FO cable always works 100% for me - although I keep getting it snagged on things and trapping it the lid of my camera box - if it was a little more substantial (and therefore less porone to snagging) I would be much happier - but your comments are correct, operationally it works very well.

I also forgot to mention the 90 is much cheaper which is a positive I missed (in fact over here I can get two 90s for the cost of one 125).

Chris

I just looked at mine and it is for use without the FO cable. Awhile back on Wetpixel, there was a post by Laz who had taken a dremel tool and cut the diffuser panel and had placed it under the FO mounting ring to hold it in place. It looked really neat and he said it worked great. WP has just changed formats and the old photos didn't make the move. To read his post without the pics,

go here.

I have asked Laz to email the pics to me or report his directions and illustrations. I'll post a link here when/if he does.

As for the FO cable, I wrap it around my strobe arm to keep it out of the way and from getting snagged on anything.

Sorry...I should have double checked before I spoke!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom