What am I breathing?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PastorJeff

Reaction score
I did a search and did not find anything on this so I thought I would ask...If I missed a keyword and am asking a dumb question, please let me know :wink:

When they fill the tank, and I breath it in, what exactly am I breathing?!? Before becoming a Pastor, I used to work as a Paramedic...Are they using O2 in the tanks?!? I would think that would be quite flamable?!?

I was just curious. If there is a book that someone would reccomend to get me going I would be very greatful!!

Thanks for your time!

Jeffrey :confused:

If you're not a scuba diver, it's a very valid question. Air is the most common and also the cheapest gas used in scuba tanks. Air has 21% oxygen. Nitrox, which is an oxygen enriched air mixture, is also common, with mixes up to 40% oxygen. Additional training beyond your open water course is required to use Nitrox safely, as oxygen becomes toxic depending on the percentage and depth used.

[edit] saw your other post about being uncertified, and new to diving. Welcome to the sport!

PastorJeff once bubbled...

I was just curious. If there is a book that someone would reccomend to get me going I would be very greatful!!

If you're still planning on taking the PADI class, I would talk to your dive shop and see if you could get the openwater manual in advance. They should also have videos and CDs that will explain all the basics.

MD

Thanks! I will give him a call and see if I can get the book. I am going to be taking my class in about 2 months (at the latest). I am going to be taking the Jr. Highers from the church to go diving next, and I want my wife to try it as well...praying she gets the bug like I have!

Thanks for the info...as I was breathing, I was rather excited (breathin underwater for the first time and all) and did not see that I was hyperventilating, so I figured that it was not like medical O2, I just was not sure what it was...

Thanks again guys!

Jeffrey

PastorJeff once bubbled...
I did a search and did not find anything on this so I thought I would ask...If I missed a keyword and am asking a dumb question, please let me know :wink:

When they fill the tank, and I breath it in, what exactly am I breathing?!? Before becoming a Pastor, I used to work as a Paramedic...Are they using O2 in the tanks?!? I would think that would be quite flamable?!?

Thanks for your time!

Are you sure you were a paramedic?? Because O2 is not flamable. :nono:

The "stuff" in the tanks is just plain old filtered, and de-humidified air. The same stuff you breathe walking around.

Pure O2 is not flammable - it just provides one of the three components required for fire - oxygen, fuel and heat/ignition.

Oxygen creates an environment in which materials which might not otherwise be flammable burn with extreme intensity. The flame consumes Oxygen as it burns another substance. But by itself Oxygen is not flammable - in fact a spark in a volume of pure oxygen actually only changes the molecules - the result is not an explosion.

Pure O2 begins to be toxic at 12 feet deep. However, in general it can be tolerated by some at twice that depth. You will develop Central Nervous System (CNS) toxicity below that depth. This results in convulsions, which may dislodge your regulator and cause the victim to drown. Even air itself with 21% oxygen reaches these dangerous levels at a depth of ~220 feet of seawater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom