What about the word 'muppet'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a popular British 'lite' insult. with a twinge of humor. I've always felt that it related more to the 'chaos and incompetence' integral to the behavior of Muppet characters...

Also used along those lines in Australia. I'm sure we've all had to deal with muppets from time to time. The other one you may hear on the rare occasion is "gumby" - less chaos and more incompetence.

I didn't know this would become a thread in feedback but here's where I learned the word:

Solo Diving- Coming out of the Closet on Vimeo

Pick it up at 15:30 - 16:30ish

"it's not always easy to spot the muppets" type language sounds exactly like the language that was used to define the word stroke.

"It's not always easy to spot the strokes" type language would be acceptable as well.

The is different from saying to another specific poster on ScubaBoard "You are a stroke."

As also said before (in the other thread in which this was brought up), the word "stroke" has a very clear history of being used as a malicious insult in the world of diving. The word "muppet" has no such history.

"It's not always easy to spot the strokes" type language would be acceptable as well.

The is different from saying to another specific poster on ScubaBoard "You are a stroke."

As also said before (in the other thread in which this was brought up), the word "stroke" has a very clear history of being used as a malicious insult in the world of diving. The word "muppet" has no such history.

I think the video I quoted shows that muppet is just another word for stroke and that such history does exist. You just aren't aware of it.

The thread that this was split from was entitled something like "just what are these muppets doing?" and to me that's just about the same as calling them muppets. What does it really matter if they are Scubaboard members are not? Shouldn't all divers be shown the same courtesy? IMO it's nastiness whether I'm calling it to someone here or talking about someone not here behind their backs.

Anyways, like I said, it was just a question that came up in my mind. I never meant for it to be "feedback".

Consider this fictitious portion of the thread:

USER A: Look at the idiotic behavior of the unidentified divers in this video.

USER B: No, you, USER A, are the idiot.

User A = No problem.

User B = Moderated

I didn't know this would become a thread in feedback but here's where I learned the word:

I learned the word from a popular childhood TV show...

The puppet characters in that show always acted with a certain amount of comical chaos. When I see real human beings acting in a similar manner, it brings that show to mind. Hence, they are (look like)... Muppets.

If you're going to use the term "stroke" or "muppet" be sure to use your sock puppet ID to avoid a vacation. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom