what a sucky way to start

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnallen

Registered
Reaction score
went out on my first ow dive since my ow cert (w/o anyone more advanced).

my buddy (my wife) and i were recently certified and decided to go out on our own today. we were certified about three weeks ago. we wanted to go on a dive while everything was still fresh. we went to a place just south of downtown houston, tx, called twin lakes. the water was so mirky (viz. about 6 ft.). it was really freaky for our first time going down, on our own, in such conditions.

but holy cow! what a good experience. we do feel very accomplished, because we did it!we conquered our nervous feelings. we even were able to navigate about 90 ft to another slime covered training platform without any problems. we even saw our first live aquatic life - a perch.

go to www.divetexas.com to see several places you might like to dive near Houston ..... "Blue Lagoon" is close and is an excellent place to check out new gear. Been diving with current wife for over 20 years. She loves diving but something always goes wrong on her 1st dive each year. That's why we try to check out all our equipment before loading it up and heading out of the county. When you get the chance check out "the Houston Underwater Club" or if you're near ClearLake "Lunafins" diving club....... and don't forget SEASPACE in June ..........

You have to begin somewhere sometime,,,,,these type conditions make you a better overall diver. Hang in there,,,,glad you both completed your dive,,,you will have many more ahead,,,,some great and some so-so.

Congratulations! Like Tex said, you'll make better divers by learning in low viz conditions. Navigation by compass will get to be a breeze! Clear water is great but it's all wet and that's what counts.

The viz at Twin Lakes has been lower than normal most of this year. Believe it or not, 15 to 20ft used to be normal! But with the popularity of the place came more divers churning up the bottom, more classes means more divers. The rainy summer didn't help this year either. It just never seemed to clear up more than 10ft. Usually the north side of the lake, opposite the floating docks, is the clearest area. Just follow the edges and you'll see lots of fish!

If you aren't doing anything Sunday, come out and dive with some of us Swampers!

Yah, I agree, Texdiveguy. My daughter finished her AOW in some fairly tough conditions, in very low vis in Tyler State Park, after big rains. Although she has done one shore dive in Coz, she is just a little nervous about dropping off the boat when we go there in Jan. I assured her that she is going to be amazed at how much easier the diving will be there, than what she is used to, lol.

Foo

Dee:
If you aren't doing anything Sunday, come out and dive with some of us Swampers!

Dee,
Are you still diving without a wetsuit? I haven't been since the weather turned, not sure if I will until we can get to the Comal.

Foo

Yeah....learning in our kind of water, you get comfortable in what some consider the worst of conditions. Clear water diving is a breeze and you'll never hear us complain about ONLY 50ft of viz! :D

I am glad I learned to dive in Blue lagoon and other limited vis places. When you get to Cozumel, I thought it was a breeze. Diving at 80' in Travis certainly prepares you for it.

jnallen:
went out on my first ow dive since my ow cert (w/o anyone more advanced).

my buddy (my wife) and i were recently certified and decided to go out on our own today. we were certified about three weeks ago. we wanted to go on a dive while everything was still fresh. we went to a place just south of downtown houston, tx, called twin lakes. the water was so mirky (viz. about 6 ft.). it was really freaky for our first time going down, on our own, in such conditions.

but holy cow! what a good experience. we do feel very accomplished, because we did it!we conquered our nervous feelings. we even were able to navigate about 90 ft to another slime covered training platform without any problems. we even saw our first live aquatic life - a perch.

Congratulations on your first "unsupervised" dive! It takes a lot of guts to drop down in 6' of viz with only 4 dives under your belt!

Hey Dee, Beast has already dived with jnallen. They were getting certified at BL when you and Beast came up a couple of weeks ago. Does that mean he and she are already certified Swamp Divers?

That was them??? Very cool! Shore 'nuff...they be bonefide Swamp Divers!

Foo...I started wearing a .5mil steamer about a month ago. I don't really consider it a wetsuit since it doesn't change my bouyancy and is thinner than most polartech suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom