Whaling: Right or Wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green Hand:
For many Asian cultures history, tradition, religion, and social behaviour are extremely important factors - as is 'saving face'.

The issue being discussed here, including shark finning, is not a financial arguement, it is one of culture, beliefs, and historical behaviour.

how to assess the feasibility of allowing the resumption of commercial (i.e., for profit) whaling using modern factory ship technology. The current international moratorium in effect is designed to eliminate the further decimation of marine mammal populations that have been jepordized by overharvesting.

Allowances for whale hunting by indigenous peoples for historical/religious/subsistence reasons is a really minor part of the equation.

Whaling: Right or Wrong?

Wrong

Thank you...

Kim:
decimate North Atlantic tuna stocks etc etc etc.....
At least it's not something like clubbing baby seals to death so their fur can be sold on 5th Avenue, the Champs Elysee, or Bond street while their bodies are left behind staining the ice with a pretty red colour.

Okay.

I've been lurking on this one for a bit, and just to keep the facts straight, and keep the stones from flying into the various glass houses I've got a few things I'd like to say. For the record, I have never been a supporter of the whaling industry nor am I in the anti-whaling corner either. I am not an environmentalist,'I'm a conservationist...which by the way includes almost all of my hunting brethern.

Firstly,
I live in Canada. Over-fishing on the Grand Banks -- read North Atlantic -- was the fault of a combination of some of my countrymen, and a whole gaggle of foreign fleets. The primary species is not tuna, its cod and there's darn few of them left (historically speaking). Poor resource management was to blame.

The U.S., Portuguese, Spanish, Japanese, Norwegian factory ships managed in a very short time, less than fifty years, to decimate the fishery. This was not a single county's initiative, in fact we, Canada, have had our hands filled attempting to reverse the damage caused by man's (and I mean every contributing nation including some Canadian fishermen) foolish notion that there would always be fish on "The Banks".

We put an off shore limit of 200 miles in an attempt to protect both the fishery and our fishing interests, and to this day, despite the fact that we have closed many domestic season, in an attempt to recover the fishery, foreign factory ships still break their treaties and continue to hammer a delicate fioshery that cannot afford the predation.

Secondly,

While the taking of seals historically speaking, was all about the fur trade, it's not the only reason we still take seals today. Before you all get bent out of shape, the taking of baby harp seals, (the cute ones with the white fur that Greenpeace loves as a poster child) is illegal. Mature seals are taken in the modern hunt. Slot numbers are monitored, and one of the prime reasons is an attempt to relieve predation of the much diminished fish stock. Seals eat fish. Fish are scarce. The more the seals eat, the less fish remain. Rememebr the base stock at this time is hyper sensitive to predation of any kind.

As barbaric as it sounds, the seal hunt is a necessary cull in an attempt, albeit probably vain, to try and reduce natural predation of the remaining cod stocks. Yes, to the hunters, the cull is still very much a monetary thing, but one should remember, the same man in the ice with the rifle (to the best of my knowledge clubs are not used anymore) is the same man who is dropping his net on ice-out.

It is unfortunate that, in this modern day, we still have neighbor fighting neighbor all for the sake of being able to say they stand but a few inches higher than another.

As to the

gangrel441:
100% agreed...but once you factor the intelligence of individual creatures and the amount of suffering caused to those individuals, doesn't this become much more a humanitarian issue than an environmental one?

I do not commercially fish for a living. I do hunt both large and small game for food. What I have found, from 30 years of hunting and fishing, is that we tend to anthropomorphize inanimate, and animate objects far too much.

I can make an argument that deer are intelligent animals. They exhibit many of the social behavior, yes including primitive vocal communication, which whales do. (Albeit it at a far more advance level than that of the deer. level). They are as majestic, depending on one's point of view, as any other creature on the planet. The main difference is their range is limited to, usually, one location that generally fall under one jurisdiction. Therefore they can be managed to the benefit of both the species and the hunter.

The problem with whales and whaling is that the animals do not fall into this same type of category. Thus cooperative endeavors to bring these create back from the brink, are seriously hampered by each nation's self interest.

This is short sighted. If a complete global moratorium on whaling was adopted for a period sufficient to bring the numbers back to a sustainable fishery, followed by a limited predation season, with quotas in place and followed, that again would allow the population to not only survive the cull, but flourish, then everyone, except those who would put animals over humans in the rights department, would benefit.

A small example.. In Ontario, the last wild turkey was shot in around the late 1800s. Domestically speaking, the species was extinct. Less that 20 years ago, hunters and conservationists worked together to re-introduce the species (which was still flourishing in northern New York). After the hunting moratorium was lifted, (10 year ago) a limited hunt was allowed. Today, there are more than 300,000 birds in the province, the hunt is still going on, and the species is flourishing.

Bringing a species back from the edge is possible. It just takes time, effort and commitment. In the end we all win.

As to the issue in the minkies, IMHO if the cull still allows for a sustainable stock, despite the environmental issues affecting these animals; it should be allowed to continue. Monitoring of the stock should be done, and as long as the base fishery is sustainable, it should be allowed to continue. If environmental impacts drop the fishery below sustainable levels, the cull should be stopped.

To those who would ask the Japanese people to alter their food preference, this is an arrogant request. Put the shoe in the other foot, and then ask yourself how you would respond. PETA has asked everyone in the US to stop eating beef….MacDonald’s still serves a billion Big Macs a day.

cyklon_300:
how to assess the feasibility of allowing the resumption of commercial (i.e., for profit) whaling using modern factory ship technology. The current international moratorium in effect is designed to eliminate the further decimation of marine mammal populations that have been jepordized by overharvesting.

Allowances for whale hunting by indigenous peoples for historical/religious/subsistence reasons is a really minor part of the equation.

What I meant by my post is that whaling is a very small industry and economically can be stopped without much financial impact on the whaling countries economy.

The real issue is that societies who consume whale and shark fin do so for cultural and social reasons [you don't have to eat whale meat / you don't have to serve shark fin soup at weddings] but they are not going to cease just because the hunting of whales and sharks makes us squirmish.

The two countries I have used as examples [Japan and China] have extremely old, culturally and socially complex socities and consuming a number of scarce resources are unfortuntely a part of their socities behaviour.

Changing and influencing another nations culture and behaviour is extremely difficult, particularly when they feel that they are being bullied, embaressed and often having double standards applied.

Forget financial implications - this is a cultural and social issue between nations and is far harder to solve than just throwing money at the problem, or financially reimbursing fisherman who are put out of work.

Much of what has been discussed in this thread could be applied to the poaching of protected species to feed the asian herbal medicine market. The consuming cultures know they are impacting on scarce, or endangered resources - but for the individual [who often does not associate their behaviour as contrbuting to th elarger problem]having face, or maintaining cultural and traditional behaviours is more important to them than giving up what their families and ancestors have practiced for centuries.

The issue is changing beliefs and behaviour. I could apply the same arguement to trying to ban large vehicles in the US to cut greenhouse gasses. How far do you think I would get with that argument? ['we have always driven large SUV's, it is our social and God given right to drive them' etc.etc.].

Changing engrained national and social behaviours and beliefs is something we will all need to start facing, as a World, in the near future - because 2005 was the hottest year in Australia ever recorded and look at the weather patterns around the globe.

fsatre:
Hello.

My first post here in this forum. I've read the entire thread about whaling.
First of all I’m surprised there haven’t bin more personal attacks, sounds like most users here know their manners.

The reason for my post is that most figures about the number of minke whales in the North Sea have bin wrong. The report of official study made by the Norwegian Institute of Marine Research (http://www.imr.no/) are found here
http://www.imr.no/__data/page/3859/...ke_whales_for_the_survey_period_1996-2001.pdf

http://www.imr.no/__data/page/4631/2.8_Hval.pdf
Is a updated version to 2004, and of course in Norwegian. I have tried to find it in English but not bin lucky so far. The summary is in English. So I give it here
“Minke whales in the Northeast Atlantic are commercially exploited by Norway. The management of this species is based on application of the Revised Management Procedure (RMP) developed by the Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Commission. The input to this procedure is catch statistics and absolute abundance estimates. The total quota for 2004 is 670 animals. The quota for 2003 was 711 minke whales, of which 646 were caught. The present quotas are based on abundance estimates calculated from surveys conducted in 1989, 1995 and 1996-2001. The most recent estimate (1996-2001) for the Northeastern stock of minke whales is 80,500 animals, in addition to 26,700 animals for the Jan Mayen area, which is also used by Norwegian whalers. “
The document also give a precise number of the quota for Norwegian whalers and number of mink whales taken, figure 2.8.1.

There have also bin some post about the diet of the minke whale. Again the research of the Norwegian Institute of Marine research have published one of their papers
http://www.imr.no/__data/page/3859/...ts_in_the_Norwegian_Sea_and_the_North_Sea.pdf

Frode

Thanks for the links, fsatre.

Welcome to the board Frode!

fsatre:
Hello.

My first post here in this forum. I've read the entire thread about whaling.
First of all I’m surprised there haven’t bin more personal attacks, sounds like most users here know their manners.

Wanna bet? :wink:
We've already had some rounds about behavior, and the thread has been pulled, washed and put out again with a strong notice about behavior. Let's hope it STAYS civil this time! -But I'm not so sure...

fsatre:
The reason for my post is that most figures about the number of minke whales in the North Sea have bin wrong. The report of official study made by the Norwegian Institute of Marine Research (http://www.imr.no/) are found here
http://www.imr.no/__data/page/3859/...ke_whales_for_the_survey_period_1996-2001.pdf

The numbers others and I have given has been 110.000 and 120.000 minkes. These should be conservative numbers, and also fits with the numbers given in the documents you have provided for us. Thank you! Remember also, the British didn't allow us to make any counting in their territorial waters, so the total could be quite higher, if I'm not mistaken.

fsatre:
http://www.imr.no/__data/page/4631/2.8_Hval.pdf
Is a updated version to 2004, and of course in Norwegian. I have tried to find it in English but not bin lucky so far. The summary is in English. So I give it here
“Minke whales in the Northeast Atlantic are commercially exploited by Norway. The management of this species is based on application of the Revised Management Procedure (RMP) developed by the Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Commission. The input to this procedure is catch statistics and absolute abundance estimates. The total quota for 2004 is 670 animals. The quota for 2003 was 711 minke whales, of which 646 were caught. The present quotas are based on abundance estimates calculated from surveys conducted in 1989, 1995 and 1996-2001. The most recent estimate (1996-2001) for the Northeastern stock of minke whales is 80,500 animals, in addition to 26,700 animals for the Jan Mayen area, which is also used by Norwegian whalers. “
The document also give a precise number of the quota for Norwegian whalers and number of mink whales taken, figure 2.8.1.

There have also bin some post about the diet of the minke whale. Again the research of the Norwegian Institute of Marine research have published one of their papers
http://www.imr.no/__data/page/3859/...ts_in_the_Norwegian_Sea_and_the_North_Sea.pdf

Frode

The Norwegian quota for 2005 doesn't show in these documents, but is as far as to my knowledge about 1000 animals. The increase is due to more and more certainty that the surveys are accurate, and that the minke population is growing.

Again thank you for your links! they are useful to anyone who wants to build an opinion.

Sincerely,

Reidar

wardric:
people dont read...

Do I have to repeat or quote myself?

In my earlier posts, I always said that I dont mind the hunting of whales if they are not a threatened/endangered species. If I have the proof that minkes or another species is abundant and has a healty population, I wouldn't mind their hunting acording to strict quotas and regulations. If not, then I support their Full protection.

Hope I wont have to repeat it, it's tiresome.

I read you, and I support your view 100%. :thumb:

Here's a interesting political development in the high stakes game being waged in the Antarctic:

http://www.divernet.com/news/stories/050106whaler.shtml

What's not clear (from the piece) is what marine conservation group is recommending military protection. Personally, sounds like someone is crying to momma when they knew well in advance these encounters would occur.

Mr.X:
Here's a interesting political development in the high stakes game being waged in the Antarctic:

What's not clear (from the piece) is what marine conservation group is recommending military protection. Personally, sounds like someone is crying to momma when they knew well in advance these encounters would occur.

Well, for crying, Paul Watson (Sea Sheperd) made a puzzling appearance as he was convinced he would be mysteriously killed if he was put in a Norwegian jail. Therefore he never dared to show in court when he and his companion/photomodel were wanted for sinking a Norwegian whaling vessel in harbour at night.

But compared to US prisons ours are more like 4-star hotels. He'd be safer there than in his home I'm sure! :D

(Wimp!)

Mr.X:

Can I get this clear as I read it?
Japan sent some whaling boats. Protesters are interfering with those boats. Japan has dispatched a naval vessel to protect their ships. The protesters are complaining. You think that the protesters shouldn't be 'crying to momma' because they knew what the stakes were?
If I have understood your post correctly my estimation of you has just increased immensely!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom