Whale Sharks, Isla Mujeres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdandvalerie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
We were fortunate enough to swim with whale sharks off the coast of Isla Mujeres one day this past week. It is truly a breathtaking experience. For those that don't know, whale sharks generally stay in deeper waters however they have been visiting this region off the Yucatan Peninsula during this time of year due to the timing of the Bonita Spawning. If you go, I highly recommend Cerviche Tours and a private boat is a must for serious Photographers/Vidographers. We had such an amazing day, we are actually going back for more next week. Due to time constraints I haven't had a chance to sort through the 2000+ Photos and hours of video yet but I pulled a few out to share. Much more to follow hopefully.

Nice! The water was definitely clearer than when I was there in very early July (granted the boat I was in ended up closer to the Gulf before we could find any whale sharks).

Beautiful pictures!
I'll have to put this location on my wish list for Whale Sharks and for the island of women.

Ever wonder why they named it Isla Mujeres?

Posted from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did wonder why they named it Isla Mujeres. One of our guides said it was due to the many remains of the Mayan statues which were mainly goddesses...

We just did another day with the sharks yesterday (7-26) and were fortunate again to be in relatively clear water, but we had to go over 18 miles off the coast. Long trip but well worth it. I shot mainly video and though I won't have time to edit it for the next week the quick glimpse I had looks pretty good. Good congregation of whale sharks, alot of time in the water with them.

Based on what our captain was saying, it's still hit or miss from a water clarity standpoint be it early or late July or August, no rhyme or reason.

wonderful pictures!!! we are headed to Isla Mujeres on Sat. What company were you with when you took these pictures? Would you recommend them?

We went with ceviche tours. Tell John and Captain Cuko I said hello if you choose them. I definitely recommend them. I should also say that we have now been out with them 2 times this season, both incredible experiences. That being said, we also reserved the boat for a private trip on both occasions and there were only 4 of us. We did this to have the most time in the water as possible. It is more expensive but if you want the best opportunity for great footage there is no other way to go. Boats do have limited time out on the water and there is no guarantee how many whale sharks will be present when you actually get it. Considering the average boat can have 10 people on it, you may limit yourself on time. If you just want the experience of swimming with the whale sharks (breathtaking/incredible/awe inspiring) then one of the larger occupied boats would be fine. It really comes down to how much you are willing to spend vs your goals of swimming with massive sharks. The shots from my initial post were all taken within the first 20 minutes in the water by my wife or myself. I am just now editing the media from our 2 trips and would go back in a heartbeat if I could get the time off my real job.

If you are staying on Isla, I also suggest you rent a golf cart and travel around the whole island (not a long trip). Stop at the turtle rescue and the mayan ruins. If you head out early (just after dawn) the photographic opportunities are endless. We probably pulled over 20 times for landscape shots alone (tripod recommended). And even if you are not that interested in the photography aspect, the scenery is well worth the trip.

We have already made plans to go back in winter for Sailfish and Bull Sharks.

Last edited:
I have always dreamed of swimming next to one. Maybe oneday when I become a little more experienced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom