Whale sharks in the PI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwestdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Was planning on going back to the PI around Oct 2006 but have another trip planned instead. Looks like I'll be able to make it back in Jan '07. Was just wondering, I've heard that there is a place in the PI where there are whale sharks. Where would this be and what time of the year is the best time for whale shark sightings? Thanks for the info.

midwestdvr

Donsol, Sorsogon, Bicol Region. Around Feb til June you'll be able to catch them there.

Also apparently on the West Coast of Cebu. Around the latter part of the year.

Thnx chip. Looks like I might fit it in on the tail end of the trip. How hard is it to get to these areas. Never been east of Luzon past Lucena and that was when I was just a wee boy.

It's pretty darn easy. Take the philtranco bus all the way to Sorsogon. From the terminal in Sorsogon you can transfer to Luzon). I went as far as legaspi (10 hr trip from Manila). Even from there you can take buses & jeepneys going to Donsol. The public transpo is pretty good around Albay/Sorsogon areas.

Alternatively you can fly into legaspi and take a bus/jeep to donsol.

Hope that helps. If you do go I reco backpacking around albay as well! Beautiful place.

I suggest you make a contact with following resort
at Donsol beach.

http://www.woodland-beachresort.com/

Been to Donsol three times. Always multiple sighting
of Whale Shark (Butanding). Only snorkeling is allowed,
and current can become quite fast depending on the
tide since it's basically open sea. The water is around
24-25 degrees around Feb to Mar, so you might get cold
if there's no sun. I heard from one of the snorkel guide
that whale sharks gather as early as October, and stay
until June. February and March is the time with bigger
numbers. Saw two whale sharks at once in March of
this year. You see about 20 different whale sharks
during this time. It gets lesser on May and June.

Good luck!

we're suppose to go to southern leyte (leyte divers c/o gunter mosch)... he mentioned there are whalesharks around there. they're probably visiting from neighboring bohol province.

rates are ok for dive trips...accomodations are crazy...its cheap! :)

only reason we cudnt go is that we cudnt find seats on the plane to get there...shucks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom