Whale Sharks in Sept recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wadivediva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My husband, me, brother and sister-in-law want to see whale sharks (I know, I know) if possible and I read that Honduras is the best in the western hemisphere and most likely. I also read the season is not only spring but August and September. Any truth? Will we have any chance of seeing anything in Sept and if so, when?

three of us have advance certs with about 200 dives each so we should be okay but don't know anything about Honduras diving.

Any recommendations on places to stay? We are not picky although food has to be pretty good.

My husband, me, brother and sister-in-law want to see whale sharks (I know, I know) if possible and I read that Honduras is the best in the western hemisphere and most likely. I also read the season is not only spring but August and September. Any truth? Will we have any chance of seeing anything in Sept and if so, when?

three of us have advance certs with about 200 dives each so we should be okay but don't know anything about Honduras diving.

Any recommendations on places to stay? We are not picky although food has to be pretty good.

Utila is the best place to see whale sharks in Bay Islands. I have seen them in Utila most months in the year. However they can be pretty scarce. The best months to see them in Utila are March and April. Contact Steve at Deep Blue Resort or Victoria at Deep Blue Divers. The resort is all inclusive, Divers is the in town shop and they make trips to the North side daily, whether permitting. They can give you current scoop on Whale Sharks and Lodging. Not to worry, you can find great food cheap on Utila....lot of nice people also.

On the other hand, Holbok, Mexico, is the place to see tons of schooling whale sharks. The time to go there is summer months. Best to fly into Cancun and drive over. Those are the best whale shark opportunities in the Caribbean.

Utila diving is easy. Mostly it's fall off the boat into minimal current. The out of town resorts also have several shore dives off their properties. IIRC in a week of diving the only drift dive we did was once on the north side - by choice not necessity. In March.

One thing that may not be clear is there's no diving allowed with the Whalesharks - only snorkeling. Honduran regulations iirc.

Utopia Village probably has the best food - Dulce Vida.

Another thing to know is that Utopia Village, Deep Blue Resort and Laguna Beach are all across the lagoon channel from the mainland so all access is by boat.

Steve ^ is [user]DeepBlueDivers[/user]

We spent a week whalesharking at Deep Blue 2 years ago in March. They know a lot about finding them.

september has been just as good as april for the last couple of years on utila. deep blues skipper swinn is the best whale shark spotter on the island. utopia has the most luxurious rooms, both resorts are highly recommended and are great places to stay and search for whale sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom