Whale Shark in Blue Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spt29970

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi All,

Last month I visited the Revillagigedos (Soccoro) Islands aboard the Nautilus Explorer. On a great dive at Roca Partida, after a great encounter with a 10ft Galapagos Shark, I started ascending towards my safety stop. Way above me, near the surface I noticed a shape that looked like a shark. As I got closer, it bigger, and bigger. OMG, it was a whale shark, the first I have ever seen. She was a juvenile and absolutely spectacular. It was one of the best safety stops of my life. Not only did she let us come close, she stayed with us for about 20 minutes. Unlike most whale shark encounters, the water was crystal clear. When I surfaced and waited for the pickup boat, she swam about 15 ft below me as if to say goodbye. Here are a few photos. Click on them for more info. Enjoy!

Whale Shark in the Blue by - drsteve -, on Flickr

Lil' baby whaleshark by - drsteve -, on Flickr

There be Whale (Shark) by - drsteve -, on Flickr

Boy what a fabulous safety stop.
Thank god for digital camera's otherwise you would have arrived with maybe 1 frame left.
I would have filled my card with that subject if she would hang around long enough.

A dream of mine for sure. You are a lucky man. Thanks for posting the pictures and story for those less fortunate (like me :D)

Back
Top Bottom