Whale shark divng off Isla Holbox in Quintana Roo, Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isla Mujeres is quickly becoming the new whale shark capital. They discovered there is a whale shark aggregation happening out in the blue waters a few years ago and it's grown and grown where Holbox is becoming second fiddle to Isla Mujeres, much to the displeasure of the locals of Holbox. Big difference is the amount of whale sharks you will interact with which is usually dozens upon dozens if not even hundreds and the water is blue and much more clear. The ride is longer and the waters rougher, but there is no comparison between that linked video and what you see in the new area. Go to youtube and type in "Isla Mujeres whale sharks", and you will see what's going on. This is effectung the economy somewhat of Holbox, the locals are quite vocal and pissed off about their rivals on Mujeres. I've even been lied to by Holbox tour companies in desperation to keep the business there. So if you feel bad for Holbox, you can still book with them and help them out.

Yes, you are right. We went out, did a dive or two but only snorkeled with the whale sharks and Mantas. I expect we would both agree that it's good they don't allow diving with them. Can you imagine the out of air emergencies?, hyperventilation trying to keep up, even lung expansion injuries on rapid ascent, etc. Not to mention the scuba bubbles effect on the sharks behavior. Regardless, definitely a spectacular show to witness on snorkel. And you get to find out what kind of shape you're in trying to keep up!
Hi

You say ''whale shark diving'' there is no diving with whale sharks, it is only snorkel but it is still a fantastic sight and Holbox is wonderful, I have worked on research there.

---------- Post added January 27th, 2013 at 09:16 AM ----------

Mike, very cool! I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip. I haven't been to Isla Mujeres in years.

Holbox is not close to Cancun. At Cancun we provide the Whale Shark Snorkel. We depart 15mins away from the hotel zone and go to a fantastic area called agua azul (blue water) and it is intentionally called that due to the green waters of Holbox that is way far plus the water is not as clear. Holbox and Isla Mujeres have been providing this service for many many years, it is not a competition, many people promoted or knew about Holbox but not about other places closer to our area that the migrations visit every year, it is the same migration that visits here and then Holbox, there is no rivalry Isla Mujeres fishermen started to visit the migrations very many years ago, there is no rivalry nor anything like that, no problems etc. Holbox is a beautiful place to visit, and during this visit it is great to see the migration. We started providing service from Cancun since 2003 that we were allowed to, we use our fleet to visit Contoy as well, but from Isla Mujeres we have been taking tourists to the migrations since many many years ago. My opinion is from a direct operator that provides snorkel services for many years.
WHALE SHARK SWIM CANCUN

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom