Whale Shark at Cocos Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May I ask how you filmed this fantastic creature? Was it circling you or did you drift with current or did you have a dive propulsion vehicle. I noticed that you had a seamless video as you were following it. I figure you were not swimming backwards...

I am doing my best to improve my filming technique so that is why I am asking.

Sweet BDSC... I am in Costa Rica this moment and I am heading out Tuesday morning for 12 days...!!! Sure hope she is still around or at least a few of her friends!!!

lee

Thanks all.

You know we were really lucky with this one I think. He/She just kept swimming circles around us. A couple of times I thought it was going off into the blue and then it would turn back to the left and pass us all again. It really made for some good filming opportunities. One thing we all did was we all stayed on the inside of it. I have no idea if by not having divers on all sides of it made it more relaxed or not.

Our Panga found the whaleshark first and then a few hours later on the second dive of the day Panga #2 found it as well but it didn't stay around nearly as long as it did for our group. I think they got one pass and that was about it. They did say they had folks all around it swimming on both sides. That's why I was wondering if just by being on one side of it that would make a difference.

Hey Lee!

I hope you guys find one as well. We found it at Punta Maria and then again at Dirty Rock.

awesome! i was in cocos during the first half of july. we had pretty bad viz overall but it was a great trip.

awesome! i was in cocos during the first half of july. we had pretty bad viz overall but it was a great trip.

The week before we got there they said the vis was really bad. One of the guys on the boat called it "black water" or something like that. Our vis was decent and really was great by the end of the week.

Back
Top Bottom