Whale shark abuse...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvmjethead:
I would think it OK to grab the dorsal fin and go for a ride, however even I think that straddling that animal is a bit over the top.

M concern is more for the choice of words used in the first post, abuse is a STRONG word. Pimp slapping your wife is abuse, bothering a WS who has every means of escaping is not abuse in my book. Having said that if I was the DM on that dive, I would have sternly corrected the two divers for the level of activity they displayed.

I'm pretty sure that WS is perfectly fine. In fact I'd bet on it.

hmmmm - im quite capable of looking after myself in the water aslo but if some diver was to grab a fin for a free ride i would consider it abuse

i think what we need also to focus on here is RESPECT and treating one of the oceans creatures like a disneyland ride shows very little respect

Since we don't really know/understand them, wouldn't it be better for us and for them if we stay out of their way and consider ourselves really lucky if we see one?

take a look at the new x-ray mag - there is a guy riding a tiger shark. not that i think it's right but the same sharks are touched all the time at places that feed them. these sharks are regulars and they do not suffer from skin infections. they also do not seem to mind. personally i am a lot more concerned about the hordes of over-eager photographers, divers with no buoyancy control and octopus/console dragging morons leaving a coral graveyard in their wake. and yes, coral are seriously harmed when they are touched even if it's for a really great picture.

Why don't we just err on the side of caution and look but don't touch. Whale Sharks are magnificant and I was lucky enough about a year ago to see one on a dive and I did not touch it, try to touch it or want to touch it. Just seeing it swimming around you is awesome enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom