Whale and dolphin captivity illegal in Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In other news, despite the jingle not everyone loves Marineland. (I'll see myself out) The mall in Edmonton used to have dolphins, those were the days.

So does that apply to rehabilitation as well. In Florida many of the public aquariums are rehab facilities and animals that aren't capable of surviving in the wild are cared for at the aquariums.

In other words, if a similar bill were passed in Florida would they have to kill Winter the dolphin?

I think seaside sanctuaries are allowed. Also, it is grandfathered, so if you have them in captivity now, you get to keep them until they retire. Just no new captives and no new birthing.

This law is strictly Canadian. We have very few establishments that still have captives. I know the situation is very different in other countries, which complicates things.

Back
Top Bottom