Whacked out fleece undergarment ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LG Diver

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I posted a few days ago about trying to get in touch with Janice at Softwear, and since then I've been thinking about what my "dream" custom fleece drysuit undergarment would look like. Those of you with experience in custom fleece undergarments please tell me what you think. I'm envisioning something that's double-layered like the DUI Polartec 300g, except the inner layer would be Polartec Powerstretch (like the DUI) but the outer layer would be Polartec Aquashell.

My thinking is that this would provide some protection from small leaks being absorbed by the undergarment while diving, but primarily would be a wind- and water-proof layer on the undergarment for when I'm on the boat deck between dives with the drysuit top off. If this sounds like a good idea I'll start hunting for someone that can make something like this for me. I know that fabrics are available by the yard at:

http://www.maldenmillsstore.com/

but those "in the know" might have cheaper sources.

Oh, BTW this would be for diving in Monterey, CA. Water temps in the high 40's to low 50's F. This may sound like overkill to some folks, but I get cold very easily. I can't fit a DUI 400g Thinsulate undergarment in my CF200x (too bulky) so I'm looking for less expensive ideas than shelling out $500+ for the DC TPS Stretch suit.

LP sells the Bare CT 200 (new version with stretch thinsulate) for about 160. Should do you for Cally waters just fine! Add some expo weight poly pro on colder dives...just a thought.

If you get really cold you can buy the extreme loft thinsulate bare suit from them for about 300. I tried it on recently and it was very nice. Decent price too for a garment similiar to the DUI 400 but imho a better product. I hate that soft and puffy outer material on the dui 400.

I get cold easily too. I have the 300 Software by Janice and below 50 I am adding more fleece and thick polypro. I also have her 300 vest. Below 50 and I am cold. It's great stuff, but like I said, below 50 and it doesn't cut it for me.

Check out my avitar, it's a custom undergarmet:) I use a USIA Exotherm II. They run around $250 and it keeps me dry on the outside and the inner if PolarTec so it's very warm. I do most of my diving in the Puget Sound area and it keeps me warm year round.

scubadobadoo:
LP sells the Bare CT 200 (new version with stretch thinsulate) for about 160. Should do you for Cally waters just fine! Add some expo weight poly pro on colder dives...just a thought.

If you get really cold you can buy the extreme loft thinsulate bare suit from them for about 300. I tried it on recently and it was very nice. Decent price too for a garment similiar to the DUI 400 but imho a better product. I hate that soft and puffy outer material on the dui 400.

I get cold easily too. I have the 300 Software by Janice and below 50 I am adding more fleece and thick polypro. I also have her 300 vest. Below 50 and I am cold. It's great stuff, but like I said, below 50 and it doesn't cut it for me.

Got a link to the Bare suit you're talking about for $160? I see the Comfort Extreme for $159, but that's only lycra/fleece. The CT-200 they show is $249, but it doesn't say anything about stretch thinsulate, just stretch panels behind the arm joints and knees.

I like the idea of custom fleece, but what I don't want to do is spend $150 - $200 on that and then realize that I'm still cold and need to buy a thinsulate garment. If you think that even double-layer powerstretch fleece is going to be too cold at 50 degrees I'll just suck it up and go with Thinsulate.

Thanks,
John

Yep, my bad LG Diver. Looks like the price went up! The older version was $159 when I bought it. I later sold it after losing about 25 pounds. The newer version is nicer though than what I had but it really wasn't warm enough for me below 50 degrees. I would think the ct 200 would be warm enough for you though. You could always add the expo weight poly pro too. I would also consider that $300 version they have but that is getting a bit pricey. I am still considering it as well. It was very comfy and thicker than the ct 200. Finding the right undies is harder than finding the right dry suit IMHO. Good luck!

just found the new bare Hi-Loft Polarwear Extreme for $274 at divetank.com...cheaper than LP...https://www.divetank.com/gear/product.php?id=300

scubadobadoo:
Yep, my bad LG Diver. Looks like the price went up! The older version was $159 when I bought it. I later sold it after losing about 25 pounds. The newer version is nicer though than what I had but it really wasn't warm enough for me below 50 degrees. I would think the ct 200 would be warm enough for you though. You could always add the expo weight poly pro too. I would also consider that $300 version they have but that is getting a bit pricey. I am still considering it as well. It was very comfy and thicker than the ct 200. Finding the right undies is harder than finding the right dry suit IMHO. Good luck!

just found the new bare Hi-Loft Polarwear Extreme for $274 at divetank.com...cheaper than LP...https://www.divetank.com/gear/product.php?id=300

I saw the hi-loft and I think it would definitely be warm enough, but I'm concerned that a) it will be too bulky in my cf200 (couldn't fit a DUI 400G Thinsulate in it), and b) all the air required in a hi-loft garment will be too much to manage for a new drysuit user.

You're right about how hard it is to find the right undergarment. The Bare CT 200 with apolypro base layer sounds promising, though.

Scottri:
Check out my avitar, it's a custom undergarmet:) I use a USIA Exotherm II. They run around $250 and it keeps me dry on the outside and the inner if PolarTec so it's very warm. I do most of my diving in the Puget Sound area and it keeps me warm year round.
I actually have this picture up in my office. I get more laughs. Dude with a rifle in pink moo-moo jammies is priceless.

I actually met with the rep from Polartec this week and we are doing a different version of our Superstretch which is made of the Polartec 300 Power Stretch. I asked him about doing a version with the Aqua Shell, and the only negative is that it would add a little more buoyancy. We're actually going to be doing a Polartec 300 Power Stretch with a nylon finish so it will slide easier into Neoprene suits. If you are interested in more info, PM me.

If you're looking for a 300gm Polartec jumpsuit, try Carol Davis.

http://www.cdsportswear.com/

I have the style 2, along with socks, and they are fairly warm in Monterey (CF200 drysuit). If you layer with a Thinsulate 200, I seriously doubt you would ever get cold.

dannobee:
If you're looking for a 300gm Polartec jumpsuit, try Carol Davis.

http://www.cdsportswear.com/

I have the style 2, along with socks, and they are fairly warm in Monterey (CF200 drysuit). If you layer with a Thinsulate 200, I seriously doubt you would ever get cold.

Wow, these look like an incredible value. Everyone talks about Janice's stuff and Ocean Liners, but Carol's jumpsuits actually use the Polartec Powerstretch, like DUI, and they're VERY reasonably priced. I don't think that either Janice or Ocean Liners use Powerstretch. I'm surprised nobody talks about these.

How easy/hard is it to don the drysuit using the thumbholes on this suit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom