• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

WGNTV: Scuba diving an unlikely tool for kids and adults with autism

Discussion in 'Diveheart' started by DiveHeart, Aug 18, 2014.

1. DiveHeart

DiveHeart DiveHeart Instructor

Scuba diving an unlikely tool for kids and adults with autism | WGN-TV

[video]http://wgntv.com/2014/08/05/scuba-diving-an-unlikely-tool-for-kids-and-adults-with-autism/#ooid=5iZWpnbzoiz_VXX6l1dVFQut3OoW2At-[/video]

2. MrChen

MrChen Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    My 7 year old daughter is autistic. She's a chicken when it comes to doing anything. I recently got her to put on a scuba mask and snorkel in the pool and within minutes she was swimming. It took me 6 months to get her to put on the mask at the pool. Now I can't wait for her to get older.

My oldest daughter has CP and I'm hoping one day I can get her in the water too. When asked if she would like to go diving, she simply replies, "I wish..."

DiveHeart likes this.
  3. Dive Right In Scuba 2

Dive Right In Scuba 2 ScubaBoard Business Sponsor ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I have an autistic cousin who I was able to put in the water with snorkeling gear and a few instructions, he took to it instantly and now his mother takes him to the pool regularly for a quick "snorkel swim"(his words). According to her it helps him remain motivated and inspired in his other activities. With that in mind there may be something to this DiveHeart!

DiveHeart likes this.
  4. tomfcrist

tomfcrist NAUI Instructor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    There are instructors in my area that don't want anything to do with the "tough" students, so I generally get them. Given enough patience and encouragement, I have had no problems certifying all types of people....autistic, paraplegics, ADHD, amputees, etc.
    never judge a book by its cover.

5. DiveHeart

Here is a great place to start their journey http://diveheart.org/images/stories/2014/Flyers/Mediakit.pdf call my cell and we can talk more 630-408-1920 how to help out.

MrChen likes this.
  6. lowviz

lowviz Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

One of my instructors once remarked how different my son was at depth. He went so far as to explain why.

I believe that it is far more fundamental than that. Nitrogen is a neuromodulator at depth. Twenty some years ago, I asked the great Dr. Charles Bean why we give hyperactive kids stimulants. His laymen oriented answer was perfect: They are trapped in an oppressive, slow, grey world with their minds running a hundred miles an hour. Add stimulants and you add color, action, interest. This is calming and they respond in kind. Know that there is nothing organically "wrong" with your son, if everyone were like him I would be treating you for profound depression...

mjrob and scubadiver888 like this.
  7. MrChen

MrChen Solo Diver

Pretty crazy timing. A dive buddy posted a local article about DiveHeart on FB yesterday for me to see and when I responded to it, someone from the local chapter reached out to me. With that, I guess the journey is starting. I can't wait to see her under water one day. Thank you for posting your information. I'll give you a call if things stall, but I think it will only gain momentum.

8. DiveHeart

Sorry if this is a repeat, but at Diveheart we've found that scuba profoundly effects young people with autism. I had one student who went from 90% special classes to 90% mainstream classes within two months after his week long scuba adventure trip. here is his mother talking about the power of scuba therapy for people with cognitive impairments and autism https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3uxB6e0mk4

WGN TV REPORT ON SCUBA THERAPY & AUTISM
    Scuba diving an unlikely tool for kids and adults with autism | WGN-TV

[​IMG]
    Scuba diving an unlikely tool for kids and adults with autism
    wgntv.com

Going deep in search of a sense of calm. Scuba diving builds confidence, especially for those with disabilities. But for kids and adults with autism spectrum disorders, there’s an added benefit. Th...

---------- Post added August 19th, 2014 at 02:11 PM ----------

I love the way you approach your students regardless of their abilities. I don't even see a persons disability anymore I only see the abilities they have and use them to the fullest extent so that they can participate and enjoy zero gravity with Diveheart. This interview with Blackhawk Helicopter pilot Tammy Duckworth might be something that you could show your students prior to class. it's pretty inspiring….keep up the great work

---------- Post added August 19th, 2014 at 02:13 PM ----------

Sorry, forgot the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-7MfCIQNzU to the Tammy Duckworth interview.

---------- Post added August 19th, 2014 at 02:15 PM ----------

Awesome, let us know how we can help.

Dive Right In Scuba 2 likes this.
  9. thefeve

thefeve Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I think this is so cool. I never thought of the therapeutic benefits to these types of issues. May I ask what other precautions need to be taken when teaching some of these kiddos? I guess I expected to see more disagreement with liability, etc in a sport that can have such harsh consequences so quickly if something was to go wrong. I'd love to hear/learn more about how you guys do this! Right on!

DiveHeart likes this.
  10. DiveHeart

We're hoping that instructors and divers from around the world wanting to become buddies for Adaptive Divers will check out our latest publications on the subject. Just being aware of what is possible is a very powerful tool. The on line versions have awesome links to news stories and related videos that will blow you away…. Diveheart Instructor/Buddy manual http://www.amazon.com/Diveheart-Adaptive-Scuba-Instructor-Buddy/dp/0988505827 Adaptive Diver manual Amazon.com: Diveheart Adaptive Diver eBook: Jim Elliott, Michael Kaufman, Eric Douglas: Kindle Store