wetsuits made for surfing good for scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thresa

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there any difference between wetsuits made for scuba diving and wetsuits made for surfing? I found a good deal on a wet suit made for surfing and was just wondering if it would be good for scuba as well.

I think the only concern would be the thickness. Does the surf wetsuit offer you then needed warmth?

You will not be on the surface where the sun can warm you.

Thickness depends on water temp too, no? I have a surfing wetsuit that pretty much covers me down to 20 degrees C, from there it's a semi dry 7/5mm

Z...

According to the 'technology' behind wetsuit composition and construction, there is a difference between in the way they are made. I dont know much but i suppose the surf suits are really not designed to endure compressions. Also, surf suits have lots of glideskin this and that, smooth surfaces which are designed to be worn on the surface to shield and deflect you from wind and splashes.

Using my surf suits for diving, I have found that over a period of time the do stretch out..verifying the compression theory

Once a year I travel to Nor. Cal “Sea Ranch” and Free dive for abalone. In October the water temp is about 49ºF. I first dove a two piece 7mm. Then I used a 5mm one piece O’Neil.

Now and for the last seven years I use a 2/3 mm xcel surf suit. I love the flexibility and the lower weight required/needed for the descent (6lbs). However I do use a 3mm hooded vest to keep the trunk warm. Other then that, I have never felt I needed a warmer wetsuit.

~Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom