Wetsuits for larger but short women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skarn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all,

I have a friend that wants to get into diving and I am helping her choose a wetsuit. She is 5'2" and weighs ~180lbs.

I am looking for a 3mm but I don't see anything even remotely close that will fit her on the size charts. I was told to have her try one of the men's mediums, but while they work for the weight, they are much taller than 5'2".

Do you guys recommend any well-known manufacturers that do custom wetsuits? I'm hoping to not break the bank here either for a 3mm.

Thanks,
Skarn

Henderson makes awesome wetsuits. I would also look into Bare as they have a lot of different sizes and are also really good quality, If you can not find her size its possible you may have to get a custom wetsuit and at that point depending on price you may actually want to look at getting a used drysuit as it could be cheaper and doesnt need to fit as perfect as wetsuit.

I have not found a stock suit in a "jumbo shrimp size". I'm 5'1, size 10-12 and everything "off- the-rack" is not only too long in the limbs, but the zippers bunch up in the torso leaving huge pockets of cold water. My last Henderson, rather than purchase a larger size (like my clothing size), in addition to shortening the arms and legs, I had it let out on each side along the outside of the legs & torso & inside of the arms because every size bigger was just that much longer in the torso which can NOT be altered. What I discovered is that I would have spent the same for a custom cut suit as a highend brand name suit and ended up with a better fit from the get go.

I now have 2 customs suits.
My 7mm was made by New Wave Wetsuits in Fullerton, CA. It is a toasty warm suit for cold water. Reasonably priced, and really fast turnaround too. Tell Theresa I said hello.
My 3mm was made by Wetwear www.wetwear.com. Tell Connie & Gene I said hi. This suit is amazingly warm for a 3m, ultra flexible but best of all it has long arm and leg zippers on the sides that make it a breeze to don & doff, wet or dry. They can make this suit in thicker rubatex as well for colder climates like MD. Rubatex is the most durable wetsuit material. I have a friend with 800+ dives on his 3mm Wetwear suit and still going strong. (Which is probably what I'll do when it's time to replace the 7mm).

I do recommend she try on some name brand suits that make "tween" sizes such as Henderson (two womens' petite sizes WP1 and WP2) or Pinnacle (ladies large short size 10-14) for comparison. Different brands are cut differently. Remember that the more "Stretch" a neoprene has in order to accomodate fit (say in comparison to rubatex), the more it will compress at depth thus reducing it's warmth factor.

Comfort in a wetsuit is all about the fit. If it gaps, you are cold. If it's too tight anywhere, you can't move easily. I do recommend she try on some name brand suits that make "tween" sizes such as Henderson (two womens' petite sizes WP1 and WP2) or Pinnacle (ladies large short size 10-14)

Good luck in your search.

Henderson makes awesome wetsuits. I would also look into Bare as they have a lot of different sizes and are also really good quality, If you can not find her size its possible you may have to get a custom wetsuit and at that point depending on price you may actually want to look at getting a used drysuit as it could be cheaper and doesnt need to fit as perfect as wetsuit.

+1
As for the drysuit, you will have more options as they don't need to be as fitted. AND the White's Fusion has 4 sizes that fit EVERYONE! Mine is a Sm/Med and much more flexible than my 7mm wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom