Wetsuits + Cordura pockets - Q/A

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello!

So, i have this:

1: Scubapro 3mm Everflex suit
2: Halcyon cordura pocket. (without neopren back)

Can i glue the pocket on 3mm? How to do it?

Thanks!

Yes.

You'll need chalk or something to mark the outline of the pocket on the wetsuit, a hard clean surface to work on, a hammer or a hard roller, dive weights, and neoprene cement like this:

Mcnett Seal Cement

1.) Put on the wetsuit, position the pocket where you want it. Mark the outline of the pocket with chalk. Be really careful in deciding where you want the pocket... once it is glued on, it is hard to get off :D You do need to mark the position with the wetsuit on so that the neoprene is stretched, and it is usually easier if you have a friend help your mark the outline.

2.) Takeoff the wetsuit, put it on a hard, flat surface. Find something like several layers of stiff cardboard, a small cutting board, etc., to put inside the wetsuit leg to stretch out the wetsuit neoprene until the outline you've marked exactly matches the pocket (the wetsuit stretches when you put it on and contracts when you take it off... in order for the pocket to fit correctly you need to glue it on with the wetsuit stretched!).

3.) Follow the directions on the neoprene cement package, but I recommend 3 coats of cement on both the wetsuit and the pocket. I used about a 1.5 inch wide strip of glue on the edges of the pocket and wetsuit, allowing several minutes for each coat to "dry" before applying the next.

4.) Carefully position the pocket over the wetsuit, then press it on firmly. You can use a hammer to tap all along the edges of the pocket. You should tap fairly hard, almost like driving a nail to really get the pocket and wetsuit to really bond.

5.) Place dive weights or stack heavy books on top of the pocket to bond it firmly on the wetsuit, and let it dry according to the instructions on the neoprene cement container (usually overnight).

This procedure worked well for me when gluing thigh pockets on 3mm and 5mm wetsuits.

Good luck and Best Wishes.

Note: Make sure you buy enough neoprene cement.... applying 3 coats of cement on a large thigh pocket & wetsuit takes more cement than you'd think... get a 4 oz can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom