Wetsuits: Advice Needed, In between sizes :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeinLA

Contributor
Reaction score
As a friend of mine once said, "I'm not fat, I'm well fed."

Anyways, I'm looking at the Pinnacle Kodiak, and, based on their sizing chart, I'm at the large end of Medium and small end of Medium Large - based on a few too many good meals, I guess. That is to say, I'm 5'9" and 175 (wink*wink) with a waist of 34-35 (again, depending :p ).

Should I buy the Medium and look forward to a tight fit (and some encouragement to lose a little weight), or should I buy the Medium Large hoping that it will either fit fine or shrink a little over time?

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks in advance!

Personally I go for the Henderson Hyperstretch. It is a great suit because it stretches to conform to your body.

Thanks for the tip! I should have mentioned that I'm looking to do some SoCal diving (including Monterey, which isn't really SoCal). I considered a drysuit, but I think it's going to be just too much for my wife to take :p

If you have any other recommendations, that would be great!

Thanks.

I'd take a look at the Pinnacle Merino Elasptiprene 7mm then its as stretchy as the Henderson but much more warm because of the lining.

Last edited:
It's a tough call- trying one on is your best option. Second best option pick one and see if it is exchangeable if it doesn't fit- that's what I had to do being on the edge between sizes. You would rather have a snug fit- gaps mean more water flow, and over time the neoprene compresses not only providing a nicer fit but it will seem easier to don and duff.

If you're not buying one of the super stretchy suits, either buy someplace you can try them on, or make sure you can exchange (and are willing to eat shipping unless you shop someplace that has a deal on that sort of thing.) And realize there's always a possibility that no size in a particular model will be right, as different brands will be cut differently and some people just aren't any kind of "standard" - so while trying to choose a suit from descriptions and reviews sounds good, it might not work.

As a friend of mine once said, "I'm not fat, I'm well fed."

Anyways, I'm looking at the Pinnacle Kodiak, and, based on their sizing chart, I'm at the large end of Medium and small end of Medium Large - based on a few too many good meals, I guess. That is to say, I'm 5'9" and 175 (wink*wink) with a waist of 34-35 (again, depending :p ).

Should I buy the Medium and look forward to a tight fit (and some encouragement to lose a little weight), or should I buy the Medium Large hoping that it will either fit fine or shrink a little over time?

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks in advance!

I'd recommend forgetting about size charts and try on some suits. Fit is very important. I am bulkier than you, 5'9", 240, 40" waist. I tried a few suits recently, fit a large NeoSport X-Span, XL Mares, XXL-short Pinnacle. Despite the range of sizes they all fit about the same. I tried a couple other brands that just didn't fit right. Everyone cuts their suits a little differently so the only way to verify fit is to try it on.

Neoprene doesn't shrink, despite what some people claim :D "It fit me last year"

I have found that you can buy a custom suit for the same to a little more than an off-the-rack suit. There are a number of very good custom suit makers around the US as well as in Italy and Greece. I can personally recommend:

Welcome to AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Skins, and parkas

A suit that is too tight can be very uncomfortable, especially around the diaphragm, chest, and neck. It is relatively simple to tailor a suit if you loose weight. The last I heard, Aquaflite will do alterations up to a year after buying the suit if your weight changes.

You didn’t indicate your location or the thickness of suit you need. I have been a fan of Nylon-out and skin-in suits most of my life. They are warmer, more flexible, and easy to get on with the aid of a spray lube like diluted liquid soap. Aquaflite calls the material they use Oceanliner with Titanium.

The sizing charts just give you a start point, not the final answer. My Pinnacle ME seems to run a bit small. so I suggest you start with the larger size. And do make sure it is exchangeable if the size is not right.

Go to a good shop and buy a suit that fits. Forget about playing wetsuit roulette on the web. You can spend half the season frustrated and dry playing that game.

If you want to be the warmest forget about the stretch suits, there is no free lunch. A well fit full density suit need not be torturous to don, wear or doff.

Read more here.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom