Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Routinely, my advice to people is rent first. There are so many variations and things to consider to simply jump in and buy something.

First: figure out if you like the activity (in this case cold-water diving)
Second: figure out what you want to do in that activity
Third: Based on a few rental experiences and talking with others, find out what works best for your needs.
. . .
Last: Match up you wants/needs with price/features and buy what comes from that decision.

Yeah, obviously you need to (rent?) try the 7 mil wetsuit first. For me 50F is balmy, 45 is OK and below that is doable down to freezing, but I have to watch my hands getting cold. Everyone's different. Drysuit solves it all, but costs a lot and is fussier to maintain--so I hear.

Whereabouts are you in Oregon?
Things are warming up now so I'll probably set aside the drysuit in favor of my 7 mil. But that's just me. I have a whole rack of different suits to handle whatever water I end up in.
Welcome to the pond.

I live in the Gresham area, BORING Oregon to be more specific. After reading the responses I have recieved, I think I will give a 7 mil a try. I got one message that highly recommended the Scuba pro line so I think I will look into that. This is the first time I have used this site, and it has really been helpful. Thanks again.....ScubaRok

Have you seen this?
NOVA SCOTIA - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

I was at one of my LDS and a couple people there mentioned that they know some folks who bought this semi-dry and actually installed inflater valves on them to turn it into a full-on drysuit. The wrists, ankles and neck all have double gaskets, and the sipper is literally a drysuit-style zipper.

I'd buy one myself, if I didn't already own an AquaLung SolAfx. I'm warm in Monterey, where the temps have been between 49-54 F. Gotten a little chilled once, but I will be trying a 1mm neoprene shirt underneath this weekend.

Safe diving!

In the summertime, a nice 7mm would be fine. Henderson makes a farmer-john styled 7mm for $150 total ($75 top & bottom), found on LeisurePro. Add a cheap 7mm hood, boots, and gloves, and you're good to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom