Wetsuit storage -- hanging or folded?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And what about when you are going to and from diving in a car? Do you roll up the wetsuit or fold it? Is it stuffed into a dive bag? Does stuffing it into a dive bag for a few hours present any creasing issues?

The shoulders of our 3 mils stretched out from being on a hanger. For our new wetsuits, I added padding made from a cut up swim noodle -- and made sure the pieces of the noodle extended into the arms. We also will lay our wetsuits flat in the guest bedroom when we go back up north.

I use a UK wetsuit hanger which i bring with me on trips. The wetsuit hangs inside my closet when not in use. The only time it get folded is when i go for trips.

I like CT SEan's approach though I think what I do is a wee bit better. I use the entire noodle. I tie a string in the middle and use the full length. It gives quite a bit more support and there is no pressure point in the shoulder area as with the hanger. Just my 2 cents.

And what about when you are going to and from diving in a car? Do you roll up the wetsuit or fold it? Is it stuffed into a dive bag? Does stuffing it into a dive bag for a few hours present any creasing issues?
If I'm doing a multi day drive to dive sites trip I'll lay the wet stuff out on top (mainly wetsuit), and hang it in the hotel.

I like CT SEan's approach though I think what I do is a wee bit better. I use the entire noodle. I tie a string in the middle and use the full length. It gives quite a bit more support and there is no pressure point in the shoulder area as with the hanger. Just my 2 cents.

Not sure that I understand. Are you using the noodle itself as the hanger (using a string to connect it to a hanging rod in instead of a wire hook)?

By entire noodle, you don't mean an entire 4' noodle, do you? You trim the noodle to the shoulder-to-shoulder length of the wetsuit?

Does the unsupported noodle sag? Of course, my shoulders slope so a sag in the noodle might be more natural.

I assume you let the wetsuit dry first so it's not so heavy when you put it on the noodle. Is that right?

We hang ours on those shaped hangers.

Safe dives . . . . . .
. . . safer ascents !

the K

hung my shortie on the dive shops hanger to dry and looked/noticed it had creases on the chest area , never noticed them before. i wrote/posted in earlier post that I've had no adverse effects from folding and i assume the creases were acquired from wading or folding as i usually stow them so my earlier post were wrong i guess,i will check my other suits out of curiosity. Don't see any big deal in the creases.
iI don't really see what they might hurt unless one would be concerned about the looks of the suit while worn such as wearing a wrinkled shirt. i know a guy? that says he doesn't wear a wrist watch because of the tan line it leaves on his wrist. Some people comment on sunglass tan lines along my temples but they look normal to me and don't bother me.
Like i say the dive shop has hangers made of pvc pipe, a 30 or 45 degree elbow in the middle with two strait section for the length of the shoulder and a 45 on each end,about three dollars at the home depot for the fittings, i would use 1 1/2" or 2".

Last edited:
XsScubaTravelWetsuitHanger.jpg

I use this one. It folds up and the hook swivels so you can hang it about anywhere. You can take it with you when you travel if you want.

Back
Top Bottom