Wetsuit sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lyrik162

Reaction score
I searched around the forum but couldn't really find an answer to this one. Should thicker wetsuits be a little tougher to get on than 'thinner' wetsuits? I have a Body Glove size 5 3/2 which fits me great, and I recently bought a 7mm farmer jane off of e-bay. The suit says size 5, and once I get it on, it fits almost as well as the 3mm, but I have a heck of a time getting it on! Should you go up in size as you go up in thickness?

Thanks!!

I've always found that the thicker suits are more difficult to get on. That will ease up as the suit gets used more. To help in the meantime, you could wear a lycra skin under the wetsuit. It will help with warmth as well as help the wetsuit 'slip' on. Pantyhose also helps. So can powder, although too much powder flying around may upset dive buddies with contacts.

I wouldn't recommend going up in size if the suit already fits. A larger size would allow more water to pass through the suit. You want the water to stay in place so your body warms it up initially and then the water helps you stay warm.

Paula

diver_paula:
I've always found that the thicker suits are more difficult to get on. That will ease up as the suit gets used more. To help in the meantime, you could wear a lycra skin under the wetsuit. It will help with warmth as well as help the wetsuit 'slip' on. Pantyhose also helps. So can powder, although too much powder flying around may upset dive buddies with contacts.

I wouldn't recommend going up in size if the suit already fits. A larger size would allow more water to pass through the suit. You want the water to stay in place so your body warms it up initially and then the water helps you stay warm.

Paula

Paula what brands do you like for lycra skins? I'm thinking about getting one for my wife to help her get 7mm wet suit off.

Thanks,
John

I took a suggestion from someone on this board, and made a mixture of baby shampoo and water, about 50/50, and put in in a spray bottle. I spray it inside the arms, legs, and especially the cuff areas. I do this with a 7mm two piece, and it slides on like a dream. Also, for the first time, I can get it off without a struggle. The baby shampoo is non irritating, and rinses out easily. Not the most important thing I learned from this board, but definitely one of the handiest. :wink:

Firefyter:
I took a suggestion from someone on this board, and made a mixture of baby shampoo and water, about 50/50, and put in in a spray bottle. I spray it inside the arms, legs, and especially the cuff areas. I do this with a 7mm two piece, and it slides on like a dream. Also, for the first time, I can get it off without a struggle. The baby shampoo is non irritating, and rinses out easily. Not the most important thing I learned from this board, but definitely one of the handiest. :wink:

Thanks I will have her try that. She only has a problem getting the top of a farmer Jane off her arms.

Thanks again,

ScubaJohn71

One of my main dive partners wears a lube suit. Makes it much easier for her to put on the 7mil suit.

I think lube suit is the correct name for it.

Lyrik162:
I searched around the forum but couldn't really find an answer to this one. Should thicker wetsuits be a little tougher to get on than 'thinner' wetsuits? I have a Body Glove size 5 3/2 which fits me great, and I recently bought a 7mm farmer jane off of e-bay. The suit says size 5, and once I get it on, it fits almost as well as the 3mm, but I have a heck of a time getting it on! Should you go up in size as you go up in thickness?

Thanks!!

I have a 7mm suit, and I struggle a bit to get it on, but once it's on it feels great. My friends who have 5mm have a much eaiser time. I have virtually no water passing through my suit. One trick that I have found to work is placing plastic bags (grocery, bread, etc.) over my hands and feet, which allows me to slide my limbs into the suit. It sounds crazy, but it works really well and there's nothing messy to contend with. I would advise going for the tightest suit you can get that doesn't restrict blood flow. Any loose fitting areas on the suit will just allow more water in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom