wetsuit seam coming apart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JTH2711

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a wetsuit that is separateing in the back where two different thicknesses come together. The wetsuit was purchased in April. I was planning on using some Aquaseal or similar product to put it back together. My concern is the fact that it is a seam and not in the main body of the wetsuit such as a fingernail tear or something of that nature. This is in an area that is a failure point. What additional advice do you guys have? Should I try to fabricate a patch for additional protection? Thanks alot

Less than 6 months old I would not fix it. Who makes the suit? Unless you tried to rip the seam I'd say that's a factory defect and they should fix or replace it.

Aquaseal will hold it together for a little while. Maybe. Is the seam also sewn? If so there's a reason for that and the Aquaseal may not be sufficient.

If you don't/can't get any help from the manufacturer, and if you decide to fix it yourself (vs. sending it somewhere), I can tell you that at least on the wetsuits I used to make, a glued butt seam worked out.

(I used to make wetsuits and sprayskirts for kayaking, back before you could really buy them, and we put them all together with glued butt seams only; no sewing.)

At the very least I don't think you would "lose" anything.

We used black wetsuit (neoprene) cement. Like contact cement you paint it onto both edges (possibly multiple coats; read can), let it tack up, then press them together. You do want the two flat edges to be perpendicular (i.e a straight cut with a 90º angle to the suit body; not a ragged edge).

That said, if it were me I might try contacting the manufacturer, since it's a pretty new suit.

Blue Sparkle

I'm with Jim, it sounds like a defective wetsuit.
Unless it was a buy one get one free no-name brand from the trunk of some crusty old divemaster, you should be able to return it.

Most of my wetsuits last for years with proper care, one (BG) is as old as 15 years old with no tears and very little fading.

P.S. If you bought from the trunk of my car there is no refunds/no exchanges, sold as is.

Posted from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 3 months old, I would contact the seller first to see if they would replace before you try a DIY repair. Once you go down that road, there is no going back to the seller / mfg and claiming defective workmanship.

If you can't return, then neoprene glue made for wetsuits may be your best bet. Sewing neoprene is very hard. I have a Henderson Neopsort that has a seam split a little over a year old. I glued the seam in 2 layers from the back side. The first layer was a standard butt joint. The second layer was the rest of the can, about 1 inch wide the length of the same. Ugly, but its on the inside. A year later, it is still holding. I don't expect it to last forever, but so far, so good.

If the mfgr will not make this right, neoprene cement will do the job. Do not use Aquaseal as it cures hard and will not stretch. This will just lead to more tears. Follow the directions on the neoprene cement which remains very flexible when cured. No need to slop it anywhere but on the seams.

Manufacturing defects in the seam glue job are not uncommon. I have done neoprene cement repairs to a couple suits and they have lasted for over 4 years with no problems from the repaired seams.

Thanks guys. I've already contacted the Manufacturer. This is really a plan B because I cannot afford another wetsuit right now. Being that I got this suit online, I am expecting trouble.

Back
Top Bottom