wetsuit recommendation -Florida Keys and Antigua in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dive dry at home.

Before I bought my drysuit - I had/have a 2 piece 7 mil bare wetsuit.

I am going to The keys in on November 30th for 3 days of diving (including the Vandenburg). We will be staying on the boat for the entire trip (small group bachelor party) then hanging in the Keys for a day or two.
Probably do 10+ dives including a night dive on this trip.

I am ALSO -then on Dec 2 going to Antigue. I will probably do 6 dives in Antigua.

I dont want to dive my 2 piece 7 mil. I dont know if a 3m or 5 m would be better to use on both of these trips.

Would this be appropriate for both trips?

Pinnacle Cruiser 5 5mm Men's Jumpsuit

I figure its cheap and even renting something on both trips will cost me more than half of what this costs.

Will a 5 be to warm for the Antigua trip and a 3 to cold for the Florida trip?

Typically I dont get cold very easily - but I dont like to be cold once it happens!!!

Currently the water temp is 77deg and dropping slowly. So consider wearing layers. A 3mm might be sufficient for some, others will be fine layering a hooded vest with their 3mm. As the temperature drops others will be more comfortable in 5mm.

Although I've never been too hot in a wetsuit (just open the neck and let in a bit of fresh water), I don't like being cold and tend to use more neoprene than others. During the worst of our winter season (Jan/Feb), many locals will use a dry suit. Not necessarily with heavy undergarments as the water temps (as low as 68) aren't the issue, but coming up wet isn't fun during a surface interval or boat ride back to dock when it is windy and the air temps are lower than the water temps.

Welcome to Key Largo. Let me know if I can be of any assistance with your planning or during your stay.

Your choice should depend on the weather. Sometimes the winter weather can be pretty nasty (cool, wet, rainy) and I prefer a dry suit. People look at me funny ("...a DRY SUIT in FLORIDA???...) but they're not making fun of me anymore when they skip the 2nd dive because they're shivering....

If the forecast predicts good weather, you can get away with a 5mm, hood and gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom