Wetsuit Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nycev

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to scuba, and was wondering about wetsuits -- I have signed up for, but haven't completed the first confined water dives, and am just learning about wetsuits. The real question I am dealing with is, if I am interested in both triathlons and scuba diving, is it possible to have/use just one wetsuit for both? I was looking at the "lower" end models by orca (https://www.orca.com/secure.html) for triathlons, and some have said these would be okay for diving -- any thoughts? I realize probably the tri suits are not reinforced in all the right places for scuba, so does this mean they will wear away much quicker -- I guess depending on how much diving and triathlons I do? What are the pros/cons of using a tri suit for scuba, or vice versa, and does anyone have experience doing this?

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

It really depends on where you will be diving and swimming the most. I have a 2/3mm shorty for warmer waters, and a full 3mm farmer john style wetsuit for the cooler, deeper dives. Remember that when you will be competing in a triatholon, you will be spending much more energy than when you will be scuba diving, and your body will remain warmer while competitively swimming. With scuba, the slower you move, the better off your dives will be, as you will use less air. Consider the water temps, and work load of your dives in comparison to your swimming, and then ask yourself if the wetsuit for swimming in a triatholon will offer the protection you need when not using so much energy. I hope that helps.

nycev:
Hi,

I'm new to scuba, and was wondering about wetsuits -- I have signed up for, but haven't completed the first confined water dives, and am just learning about wetsuits. The real question I am dealing with is, if I am interested in both triathlons and scuba diving, is it possible to have/use just one wetsuit for both? I was looking at the "lower" end models by orca (https://www.orca.com/secure.html) for triathlons, and some have said these would be okay for diving -- any thoughts? I realize probably the tri suits are not reinforced in all the right places for scuba, so does this mean they will wear away much quicker -- I guess depending on how much diving and triathlons I do? What are the pros/cons of using a tri suit for scuba, or vice versa, and does anyone have experience doing this?

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

Almost certianly you will NOT be able to use the same suit for both sports.

When you are diving you will be down, under the water where it is colder and while diving you are using very little energy, just floating mostly. But if swimming on the surface not only is the water warmmer up there but you are expending loads of energy and creating heat. You would want a much thinner suit for triathalon than for diving.

The exact thickness of each suit depends on the water temperature. So if it happenned that you only did triathalon is very cold water and only dove in warm water you might be able to use the same suit but I assume you do both sports in the same body of water.

In the grand scheeme of things wet suits are cheap. If money is an issue buy one for $80 from Tripple L

If you tell people exactly where you will be doing each sport or the water temps then they could offer more detailed advice. For example I use a full 7mm suit for local diving but I've seen people swimming in the ocean without a wetsuit. So in the same location, same day there can be 7mm difference in required thickness.

More than once in the summer I have seen the water as warm as 70F on the surface but at depth watched it drop to the high 50's as we esed through a thermocline

Thanks for the replies, they've been very helpful.

As a follow-up, I will be doing the confined water dives in a pool in the mid/upper-70s, and then the open water dives in Puerto Rico during the first half of April, again probably mid-upper 70s water temp. (on surface -- no idea how cold it would get below?), and then planning to do at least one triathlon in Rhode Island in August - I've been trying to find approx. usual water temps. for the triathlon, but haven't come up with it yet.

Thanks for all your help so far, looking forward to finally getting in the water...

Might PM James Goddard here on SB. He is, or was, a triathlete.

I raced triathlon for 10 years, & quickly discovered that even my 3mm shortly was lousy in a race. First of all, it has short sleeves - very bad.... tri suits are arm-less to allow freedom of stroke movement. Second, the newer generation tri-suits address not only insulation, but a slippery surface to streamline through the waves better. Second hand stuff is available all over the place. I've had good luck w/ ebay. Tri & Diving - great sport combination! Enjoy them both!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom