Wetsuit Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prskate2

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just found an old wetsuit in my closet. It fits everywhere except for the neck. What can I do to make the neck tighter so I can use it and a ton of water doesn't get inside it. Also, what is the "conversion" of weight in a pool needed to weight in the ocean. I know my what weight to use now but the wetsuit I found is thicker. I think you add like 2-3 extra lbs right?

Sorry, no great ideas about the neck. Off the top of my head, a vest or hood might help, but I don't know if that would work in your neck of the woods. (Sorry. :))

As for going from a fresh water pool to the ocean with exactly the same gear configuration (including any computers, SMBs, etc.), if you know how much lead you need in the pool a more exact estimate than using a fixed amount like 3-4 lbs is to weigh yourself and all your gear on dry land, including your lead. Then multiply by 0.02. This is how much lead you need to add. For example, if you weigh 150 lbs and your dry gear weighs 75 lbs on dry land, the total is 225 lbs, and you'd need to add 4.5 lbs of lead over what you normally carry in fresh water. Keep in mind that if it was me, I'd still do a weight check in the ocean, in case the local salinity is different, trim is significantly off, or the weights turn out to be slightly off (not uncommon).

Thanks a ton. I thought about the hood. But 5mm wetsuit is already probably to hot. HAHAHA

Back
Top Bottom