Wetsuit on a cruise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NigerHadiza

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I really want to get some scuba in while on a cruise that I'm going on in December and am wondering about the water temps and if it's worth bringing my suit along. I will be doing the Wreck of the Rhone in Tortola (two tank dive only :(..) I like using my own equipment (i.e. mask, fins, and wetsuit). The equipment is included and we will be returning to the ship after we finish. I am also sharing my cabin but it does have a balcony. What do you recommend? Should I just say "forget it" and leave everything at home, or should I bring it along for comfort? Also, my wetsuit is a 5mil. Will it be too warm for December?

AW-

Hey everyone. I really want to get some scuba in while on a cruise that I'm going on in December and am wondering about the water temps and if it's worth bringing my suit along. I will be doing the Wreck of the Rhone in Tortola (two tank dive only :(..) I like using my own equipment (i.e. mask, fins, and wetsuit). The equipment is included and we will be returning to the ship after we finish. I am also sharing my cabin but it does have a balcony. What do you recommend? Should I just say "forget it" and leave everything at home, or should I bring it along for comfort? Also, my wetsuit is a 5mil. Will it be too warm for December?

AW-

On every cruise since i have been diving (certified) I have always taken my own gear. everything, yes it can be a pain. Plan ahead and only take things you really need, I take my regs, BCD, wetsuit, (Have 1mm for carib diving) and eveything else except weights and tanks. I love the security of my own gear, when it was serviced and who used it last.

I have been know to travel with a shower rod and a plug in fan and can get 3 full sets of gear drying in a shower over night in a inside cabn.

Good luck!

My husband and I always travel on cruises with all of our gear. Yes - all of it. We wash everything out using the showers on the pool deck and then put everything out of the way on the pool deck where it can dry. We take it back to the cabin back (dry or mostly dry) in the boat bags after a few adult beverages. We are usually the entertainment on deck when we are washing and moving the gear. Relax and enjoy it!
Have a great time and dive as much as you can.
Barbara

I personally wear a wetsuit regardless of the time of year. I tend to do a lot of multiple dives over multiple days. The water is cooler than body temperature, so cooling of the core will occur over time. By wearing a wetsuit, I find that my air consumption is generally better, than if I go without. I would imagine that the waters will be cooling off by the time of your trip.

If it is for just one day's diving, I'd forget it. But if you are diving in several ports, it might be worth bringing along.

Operators in BVI will provide a wetsuit (shorty) as standard kit. It might not be a perfect fit, but it will keep you warm enough. And drying out a wetsuit in a cruise ship cabin is a pain. You certainly don't want to lose it over the balcony by forgetting to bring it in when the ship disembarks!

5mm would certainly be toasty warm - if it gets too warm you can always flush it a couple of times during the dive. I usually wear a 3mm in winter, but even that I sometimes find myself having to flush on warmer days.

I always bring my own gear including a shorty wetsuit. I find it's easiest to rinse it in the shower on the ship and let it dry in the shower stall as well. I'm leaving on cruise this Sunday and will for the first time have a balcony so I am going to try drying my wetsuit outside.

I went on a cruise last December and took all my own gear, except for weights and tanks. It wasn't that hard to wash out and dry everything. I did have a balcony, but pretty much dried everything in the bathtub. I'm leaving on another Caribbean cruise next Tuesday and will be doing the same thing once again.

I would try calling the operator that you are diving with to see what suits are available and what the quality of those suits are. Also, and it may sound strange to say, but if you are a special body shape that doesn't fit most rental suits, you may want to bring your own :)

For me, the most important items to bring are my computer and my mask... and of course, my camera! The rest is kind of bulky and if the dive center has good rental equipment, then I would use theirs.

Whether you where a wetsuit is up to you. Water will be warm - I just dived St. Martin today - surface temp 82. bottom temp ~80. I wear a 3 mm shorty for multiple dives. Most dive shops will rent shorties, but some rent 3 mm full suits and they can be pretty worn out so I always travel with my own. Usually rinse out at the dive shop or boat if possible, or the shower if necessary, and hang in the shower.

Another point - You said you are returning to the ship after, don't know if that means you are diving with the shore excursions. I've had decent dives with the excursions, and they *will* get you back to the ship on time. however I'd say you will almost always get more personal attention, flexibility in dive sites, etc. by calling a local dive shop yourself. They don't make nearly as much when the cruise line takes a share and can't afford to give as much personal attention.

Enjoy Tortola!

Bring your own gear. Rental equipment is typically well used. Make sure your stuff visibly has your name and phone number on it. Finding your fins and mask in the pile on the deck will be easier. Rinse your gear in the room and hang it to dry on the balcony. I've done several cruise excursion dives and having a balcony is best for gear and a cigar. :japanese:
Have fun and dive safe
Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom