Wetsuit: I'm in between sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM Diver

Reaction score
I have the misfortune of being built right in the middle of two sizes. So, as further proof that tampascott is not afraid to ask a stupid question, here goes.

The suit I now have fits, but buckles ever so slightly in the waste. Is is a little loose, but not bad at all, and would be comfortable and easy to get in and out of. The next size down I could get in to, but would feel considerably tighter and more restrictive, but still "wearable."

If your body happens to fit right in between two sizes, which is preferable: too tight or loose? BTW, we're talking about a 7/5 hyperstretch, if that makes a difference. Do I loose some of the warming benefit by not stretching it out to its near max?

Scott:

Check out other manufactures and/or go with a custom wetsuit if your planning to really get involved with diving.

I have the same problem that you were describing except mine was with the chest and bottom .

You really don't want a suit that is a little loose or to restrictive.
Have one that is snug and no folds . One would be able to bend down to reach their toes okay. The purpose is to keep water from flushing in and out.

I tried on many different brands of wetsuits and found that Harveys , Henderson and Scuba pro came very close. I finally with my shape went with scuba pro.

Good luck
Safe diving to ya:

Garfish once bubbled...
Scott:

Check out other manufactures and/or go with a custom wetsuit if your planning to really get involved with diving.
Thanks. I'm already very much into diving, doing 6-9 dives a week (when the wind permits). But, I can understand how you would mistake me for a newbie given the question. :D

Actually, it's the first time I've gone up to a 7/5. I have three other wetsuits that fit, but I'm going to do some hard core winter diving this year, so moved up to the 7/5. Another brand is not an option. I was wanting to do, because I like the hyperstretch a lot.

Maybe I'll contact Henderson and see if they make any suits between sizes.

Scott, if you really like the Henderson suit, you can get the one that's a little loose and have your LDS send it in to Henderson for alterations. Not sure of the exact cost, but my LDS tells me Henderson's alterations are very reasonable.

Just a thought...

Thanks. The problem is solved. Body Glove makes mid-sizes, and I found one that fits perfectly. I wound up getting a 5m 2 piece, but I'm going to use the Henderson Hyperstretch Hood/Vest combo with it, which should keep me cozy in some pretty cold stuff. I did a 20 minute dive in my pool, which is currently 59f, and felt fine.

I'm guessing this suit should be fine down to about 50f. If it gets colder then that, I'm staying home.

tampascott once bubbled...
Thanks. The problem is solved. Body Glove makes mid-sizes, and I found one that fits perfectly. I wound up getting a 5m 2 piece, but I'm going to use the Henderson Hyperstretch Hood/Vest combo with it, which should keep me cozy in some pretty cold stuff. I did a 20 minute dive in my pool, which is currently 59f, and felt fine.

I'm guessing this suit should be fine down to about 50f. If it gets colder then that, I'm staying home.

Aah..come on 50F and you'll stay home.

I just dove for 31 mins last weekend in my Henderson Hyperstretch 7/5 with a 3mm Henderson Hyper Hooded Vest in the St. Lawrence River. Temp last Sat was 42F and looks like it will be 41F or 40F tommorrow.

BTW, it snowed here today. Still lots of diving left:clapping:

Back
Top Bottom