Wetsuit Hood With a Dry Suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capnbob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I'm considering buying a used drysuit locally. I'm hesitant to do this but being a broke college student I'll likely never be able to buy one new and it's a killer deal ($200 for a newish O'Neill) and I live in Oregon and the idea of a drysuit is very appealing :D

Anyway, I'm wondering if there's any way to use my old wetsuit hood with a drysuit? It has a longer bib, so I'm assuming it won't work? Would it be possible to modify it without it being useless?

Thanks!

-Capnbob

I have buddies that have not splurgged on a dedicated DS hood so the answer is yes. It leaves the bib on top of the suit and under the straps and works well enough for them.

Pete

My wife and I love the Henderson Hyperstrech hoods, just could not go back to a standard hood that came with our drysuits.

We just tuck the bib under our straps and all is good.

I've been using a wet hood with a drysuit for years, no problem. If the bib flys in the breeze too much, it can be trimed back easily.

What they said. I have a Bare DS but don't like the hood. Been using an old, old, old hood with bib over the suit and under the other stuff. Blew the kids' college funds for a Henderson GC bib hood last summer and that works great also.

I had a nice little hooded vest, which obviously wouldn't work too well with a drysuit, so I got a bib-less wet hood. :D

What size hood do you wear? I inherited a Bare drysuit hood from a friend that does not fit and would be willing to send it for price of postage if it would work for you. Let me know.

I just trimmed the bib off of my 6.5, works ok in 50 degree water, 39 degrees in Feb was a bit cold though! Brain freeze made for a short dive.

covediver:
What size hood do you wear? I inherited a Bare drysuit hood from a friend that does not fit and would be willing to send it for price of postage if it would work for you. Let me know.
Wow, that's very generous of you! I wear a medium. Thanks : )

When I got drysuit certified and dove at The DUI Demo this year, I used a regular bibbed wetsuit hood. It flapped a little but worked okay. Of course the water was not as cold as some places. Only 54 degrees at 30 feet.

Back
Top Bottom