Wetsuit heating experiment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neophytediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I have a nutty idea. I'm sure everyone has seen the ThermaCare Air-Activated HeatWraps advertised on TV. Reading the FAQ on their website it says not to get them wet because they will stop working. Well, here's the thought, put one in a gallon size Ziploc bag and stick it between your wetsuit and your skin.

Thoughts?

Seems like if they need air to work, the would stop working closed up in a ziplock. I suppose you could experiment on land. The ammount of air enclosed in the bag would be the same.

I seem to remember some other kind of handwarmers that you can "rejuvinate" by heating them up in warm water. Does anybody know the details on them?

KYDan

Many chemical heat wraps rely on the oxygen in the air to provide heat. I seem to remember a thread about a guy who taped one under his Drysuit inflator... and then dove Nitrox.

Ouch.

I was thinking the same thing today.
I was thinking of placing it on the center of my upper back to keep the temp around my heart and lungs up. They do have a heater now that you can buy for about $450 . That runs on batteries.
Fred

It's called "The Incredible Bag" There are various sizes (we got the 3"x5" one. It is a liquid filled, tough plastic pouch. To release the heat, just "snap" the metal disk inside the pouch. In a very few seconds the, in our model, green liquid turns milky white and gets quite hot. It stays hot for about 1.5 hours. To recharge it, put it in a pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes until it is liquid again.

Works well but haven't used it on too many dives. Can't hold it against my bare skin - too hot for me, but my wife can take the heat.

We bought it at a scuba meet last year.

the heat wraps need air. you can stop the heating by putting them in a bag. once you take them back out they start heating again

BEM:
It's called "The Incredible Bag" There are various sizes (we got the 3"x5" one. It is a liquid filled, tough plastic pouch. To release the heat, just "snap" the metal disk inside the pouch. In a very few seconds the, in our model, green liquid turns milky white and gets quite hot. It stays hot for about 1.5 hours. To recharge it, put it in a pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes until it is liquid again.

Works well but haven't used it on too many dives. Can't hold it against my bare skin - too hot for me, but my wife can take the heat.

We bought it at a scuba meet last year.

I have a similar product called "Re-Heater". Boil it for 20 minutes and allow it to cool then snap the little metal thingie inside and it starts to make a considerable amount of heat. If you are handy and can sew make a pouch out of an old towel or washcloth, this will keep the hot plastic from making direct skin contact (unless you are a masochist, this is a really good idea).

Some people like it in the small of their back, while others like myself put it on their chest.

Search the internet, these are often used in medical applications.

The active ingredient is Sodium Acetate with water inside the bag.

Mark Vlahos

I've used the salt packs that get hot when pinched for early season NJ diving and in California, do not place them agaisnt the skin! They will burn you before you get wet, the best place for me is between the hooded vest and the wetsuit at the base of the spine, they may stay hot out of the water for an hour or more but they get sucked cold in 49 degree water by the end of the dive. After the dive wrap them in a towel and drop into boiling water, some brands can be nuked and ready for the next dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom