Wetsuit for DomRep in September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ice9

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Headed out to Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic) in mid-september, and I'm wondering whats the best thermal protection for that time of year. My instinct says 3mm full wetsuit, but how about a 2mm shorty?

Also, anyone know any good dive operators out there? Is nitrox typically available? Thanks all!

Anyone??

It depends how cold you get, but I'd say 3 mm full would cause the least problems, especially if you do multiple dives.

Ed

Yep, three mil full will be your best bet unless you are a polar bear type. Have fun!

Been to the DR once in my life and that was enough. Diving was not very good.

2 years ago I was in DR at a resort and im 99%positive they didnt have nitrox/EAN. Might of changed tho. Have fun I really like the diving down there.

Brent

Scuba St3ve:
2 years ago I was in DR at a resort and im 99%positive they didnt have nitrox/EAN. Might of changed tho. Have fun I really like the diving down there.

Brent

Which resort?

I would wear a 3mm full for thermal protection as well as protection from jellys and other things. Typically dive shops/charters are more than happy to inform you of the best time of the year to come as well as what gases they carry, you should get on line and look up some of these a shoot them an email.

Barcelo Bavaro Beach & Caribe - All Inclusive. In Punta Cana,DR

I was in the dominican last year in january (punta cana) for two weeks. Used a full 3mll and a shortie...I liked the full better. Very windy on that side of the island while I was there, so windy they couldn't launch the dive boat for 3 days straight. They did have full day excursions to the caribbean side of the island which I took full advantage of...the diving was way better on that side of the island and much calmer. My wife and I enjoyed the excursions so much we are going back this january to that side of the island. The resort we are staying at this january is the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus in Bayahibe. They have a dive shop onsite. Enjoy your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom