Wetsuit - custom or off the rack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have lost 22 lbs since I bought my wetsuit and I was really glad to buy a size smaller 3m suit,, I know it is an expense but I plan to sell the old one, actually I may still wear it just to feel good LOL. I have a size 10 EXCEL 1.5m on order, that is really the suit I wear most often. I do most of my diving in warm waters. I have a Henderson Hyperstretch in 7m that is for my colder water dives which are not that often, maybe one or two months a year, and I am not replacing it with smaller, I will layer it if needed. But, the beauty is the stretch of it.

I did have to wear my size 12 1.5 m on my last dive trip and as the week went by the seat, arms , waist and legs kept getting baggier and baggier. The legs would fill with water like balloons when I returned to the boat. But, because the water was 84-89 degrees , I was wearing it more for skin protection than warmth and it was kind of funny. We all laughed at it. I did order a smaller one once home though.

Took most of your advice and tried with an off the rack first. My trainer picked a size 9 for me -- and it fit -- I guess it was very stretchy.
I felt it was a bit tight but she said that it should feel like a second skin so I thought it would be ok.
Hoping to lose weight through scuba too.

It's a tricky question I agree! I had a hard time finding a wet suit that would fit off the rack and didn't want to go with a mens suit because of my chest. I got a custom fit suit online at eaglereef....they are in California. I had to take a lot of measurments and they will take the suit in if there are any problems with the fit or if you loose weight etc. The customer service and help was great and cost was reasonable. The more you add the more it costs. Check it out and shop around.

Good Luck:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom