wetsuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munkispank

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there, I am looking for advice form anyone who has been diving in Redang/Tioman/Bali and/or Koh Tao. I'm off for a trip- mostly backpacking, so I am trying to minimize gear taken with me. At the moment I have just mask, snorkel and skinsuit. everything else is too heavy or too big to take. I can fit in a shrotie wetsuit, but my pack will be stuffed. Can anyone tell me if the dive ops in the above locations push you to rent a wetsuit from them?

I remember in Bali I was not allowed to dive with the operator without a wetsuit. If this is the case allover, I will carry my own, rather than rent.

munkispank:
Hi there, I am looking for advice form anyone who has been diving in Redang/Tioman/Bali and/or Koh Tao. I'm off for a trip- mostly backpacking, so I am trying to minimize gear taken with me. At the moment I have just mask, snorkel and skinsuit. everything else is too heavy or too big to take. I can fit in a shrotie wetsuit, but my pack will be stuffed. Can anyone tell me if the dive ops in the above locations push you to rent a wetsuit from them?

I remember in Bali I was not allowed to dive with the operator without a wetsuit. If this is the case allover, I will carry my own, rather than rent.

For the Malaysia and Thailand sites, depending on whether you tend to get chilled, you might well get by with just the skin. Bali may be different... it depends.... Since you haven't specified exactly where in Bali, it may be hard to say. I dived this month in Bali near Tulamben and needed next to nothing; but I also dived at Nusa Penida and was very happy to be wearing a 5 mm because I got so chilled in the thermoclines.

You might consider simply renting wetsuits as needed when you get to where you're going so you don't need to pack bulky items you may use rarely if at all. If you're worried about hygiene, you can layer your skin under the rental (also good for keeping the jellies away from bare legs and arms if you rent a shortie).

I've personally never come across an operator who has forced me to rent a wetsuit; I'd look for a different op, if any policy of a dive op left me feeling uncomfortable. Certainly in Redang, Tioman, Koh Tao, and Bali you will be spoiled for choice!

Hi Munk,

Sounds like you're getting around. Where you're headed a skin is sufficient. There are times when a 5 mm would be nice but you can get by with a skin and everywhere has rental stuff so don;t worry. If in doubt pack a hood, that always makes a difference. I see from you're location and logo that you live in NC and have some Uk experience (or blood) behind you so diving the Asia waters will probabaly be OK. Get packed, get on the plane and go have a great time !!

As already mentioned, Nusa Penida, Ceningan and Lembongan can get very cold. It is not just chilly. Looking through my log the highest temperature I got was 24C, the lowest was 20C!!!!!!

So it is cold. Secret Bay can also get quite cold, but not that cold.

All the mentioned places are in Bali.

Other sites around Bali are quite warm including Lombok.

So if you do not dive those COLD sites, you should be OK. But you will miss out on something.

thanks for the advice guys,
Quero, I had just read your post about the place you stayed at in Bali. I was planning on mostly doing Tulamben, and maybe another site or two on the NE coast. Glad to hear you were warm enough- that mean I will probalby be OK.
Deano2, I'm originally from the UK, and now here in NC the weather is not much different!!! Good advice about the hood- I might be able to squeeze in my beanie.

I think I'm going to go with the skin and rent a suit if I get chillled after a day or two.

thanks again- I'm off on Tuesday and back in August, so I will post up trip reports when I get back :)

Renting as you go should be easy and low cost

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom