Wetsuit advice: Freediving vs. scuba suits, thickness, temperatures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all - I am reviving 2airishuman's thread. Eric S. and others - please weigh-in as well.

I finally decided to move back to Seattle after a 6+ years sojourn in tropical SE Asia. I typically use a 4th Element vest hoody under a long sleeve shirt. This keeps me warm in temperatures down to 26°C. If I get chilly, I might add thin neoprene leggings. In cold waters tropical waters, temperatures range from 20°C to 25°C. Here, I use a 3 mm custom-fitted Elios wetsuit with high quality neoprene and smooth black lining. I still use freedive fins and commonly do not sure booties, but that might change. With family in socal, such as the Channel Islands in the summer, or cool water diving @Soccorro Islands, Mexico, do you think that I could get by with a 5mm free dive wetsuit. FYI I rather not dive dry, unless I decide that I want to dive in the PacNW.

A 5 mm MAKO freedive suit should work fine.. you will probably want to add 3 mm neoprene socks. This might require larger foootpocks/ fins depending on the fit with no socks.

We offer suits, fins, socks and a lot more, if you are shopping. Free shipping too, for $100 orders.

You need to consider depth as well. If you are diving 10 or 20 feet, the suit compression is not so much and you will retain a good bit of insulation value. If you are diving over 60 feet - then it becomes an issue.

To be honest, diving 40 degree water below 80 or 100 ft is freaking COLD, in my book. You would be very uncomfortable in a 7 mm freedive suit in shallow water at temperatures over 75 degrees or so. You can remove the hood and let water in, but there are limits to the temperature range for any suit - between the full 3mm jump suit and a 7 mm suit, you should be able to handle most any temperatures.
Hey Dumpster Diver, Trust this (my first message on SB) gets to you. I think you have the experience to advise me re best wet suit for underwater camera work on SCUBA. I am not a young man so feel the cold, especially when waiting for something to happen in front of the camera.
Will be working down to 100ft in temp 50F worst case. Would appreciate your thoughts re free diving suit re warmth & compression vs regular neoprene. My first wet suit was a smooth skin (both sides) Calypso 7mm farmer johns with hood attached top, nil zips and I still reckon it was the warmest suit I ever owned; but I was only 20 years old then!
Look forward to your thoughts.

Hey Dumpster Diver, Trust this (my first message on SB) gets to you. I think you have the experience to advise me re best wet suit for underwater camera work on SCUBA. I am not a young man so feel the cold, especially when waiting for something to happen in front of the camera.
Will be working down to 100ft in temp 50F worst case. Would appreciate your thoughts re free diving suit re warmth & compression vs regular neoprene. My first wet suit was a smooth skin (both sides) Calypso 7mm farmer johns with hood attached top, nil zips and I still reckon it was the warmest suit I ever owned; but I was only 20 years old then!
Look forward to your thoughts.
Dumpster Diver hasn't been on this board for some time - note his profile pic says "Banned".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom