Wetnotes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HenrikBP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a regular slate, but find that it doesn't have enough space for the info I want to record before/during/after a dive. So I did a search on wetnotes but still have a couple of questions:

1) most makers say the pages can be erased and reused. Does that work in real life?

2) how about replacing pages? It seems that most wetnotes are based around a spiral bound notebook which would have to be replaced. Halcyon being an exception - sort of - in that they use individual rings to "bind" the notebook, so pages could be added. Of course they only sell the complete replacement :)

3) it seems that the fabric covers for wetnotes would be a good place for laminated sheets w/ important info. Any preference for a particular brand with good extra pockets?

Wetnotes I've found so far:

WetNotes

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Dive wRite Notebook & Cover

Halcyon: Halcyon Accessories

Thanks

Henrik

I use the diverite, however I don't have that nylon cover, instead just put the orange notebook/pencil in a pocket. Not sure about them being reusable? (never tried to reuse them to be honest). The notebook I use to put my dive/deco plan in as a backup to the computer and when the dive is done mark a large X over the entire page so I don't refer to it by accident on a subsequent dive. Some guys I know remove the pages and file them by depth so they can be reused...but I just re-calc.

I do have one of the smaller pocket slates that has 5 slates on a split ring for a total of 10 sides of free space. It is small enough to slide easily in a pocket and is reusable. That is what I use for "underwater BS'ing" with a partner if need arises.

1) most makers say the pages can be erased and reused. Does that work in real life?
Yes, very well.
2) how about replacing pages? It seems that most wetnotes are based around a spiral bound notebook which would have to be replaced. Halcyon being an exception - sort of - in that they use individual rings to "bind" the notebook, so pages could be added. Of course they only sell the complete replacement :)
Basic booklets are pretty cheap--check with Trident. I've never thought about replacing pages.

-Bryan

You may also want to consider paper from a company called Rite in the Rain (website:Home) My girlfriend uses these products for her biology field work in rivers.

For example, the Durarite product line is intended for underwater use. It includes notebooks, loose binder paper as well as printer/copy paper.

DuraRite Waterproof Products
P.S. I don't have any personal experience with any of these products, but I'm looking into them for scientific diving this summer.

The DuraRite pads are *excellent*... except they have a metal spiral binding that *can* rust a bit given a chance. It hasn't been too bad, and if you rinse and dry (instead of forgetting it in a pocket for a winter when you're using your dry rig), I'm sure it's not a problem. (If they're still intact with the abuse I put some of them through, they've got to be decent, eh?) Of course, if you use the loose paper, you can bind it however you want.

As for the paper quality, I really like the DuraRite synthetic paper. It's easy to write on, and it holds up wonderfully.

(I didn't order mine directly from Rite in the Rain, as I found the pads significantly cheaper elsewhere online. Anyone with a little of googlability should be able to find some good prices in a few minutes of browsing.)

Thanks for all the info and feed-back guys. Greatly appreciated.

Henrik

I don't erase.... I usually end up picking up a new notebook when it's full and transfering the important stuff: Contact info, Predive checklist (SADDD or GUE EDGE) and tables..

Try out the Ritchies Notebook..... A lot cheaper to replace just not as pretty

The prices of the wetnotes pads and paper (refils) have come down somewhat over the years and I think they are a little more reasonably priced now. May make it less necessary to hunt for alternatives.

Mat.

Clayjar, I also use and like the DuraRite although a drawback is there is no attached pencil and I'm not entirely pleased with how I rigged one. I'd also like to know what sources and prices you've found. The pocket spirals on that website were $4.75 for the 3x5 and $5.75 for the 4x6. I googles and didn't find anything less. That's still much cheaper than the other wet notes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom