wet suit @wrists?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jon m

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hey all
my wife has a size 10 (farmer John ) 7mil that she wears. the suit fits great.
but- the wrists are very tight on her (big wrists, i guess) turning her hands red and uncomfortable..
there seem to be some kind of "rings" at the wrists...
so- can these be removed? i was thinking about "snipping" the wrist about1/2" to "loosen" them up,but am worried the "snip" will become a "run"!! can i put some sort of reinforcement above the "snip" area? don't want to ruin the wetsuit...
any suggestions would be great!
thanks!
-Jon

Is it that the sleeves are too long for her?

Some wetsuits are made with a few "markers" (stitching that intersects the main seam of the wetsuit sleeve). I have been told (although I am no expert) that this is done so that you can trim the sleeves without creating a run. That being said, I have never done it and, although I am in the same situation as your wife, I am too chicken to do it.

You could send it to Terrapin (http://www.terrapinwetsuits.com/) for Alterations. We have used them in the past, and I highly recommend them.

What kind of suit is it? Like Sarita said, some are trimable...Do you have a thick needle and sewing machine? Can you post some pics? The neoprene itself will not "run", but the stitching will....That ring is for decoration and not much more...THey put them on because most people think its an unfinished suit without it, but it is actually a better seal when its not there.....

I have the same problem with my farmer john suit, and I have tiny tiny wrists. What I have found works to alleviate the problem, is sticking regular sized bottles of hot water in them the night before. This will stretch out the material a bit so it's not unbearable to dive with the next day. As with your wife, the rest of the suit fits perfectly, except for the wrists, and I don't want to damage the suit by trimming it back that 1/2 an inch.

My wetsuit is the Akona brand (which I absolutely love). What about hers?

hers is an Edge... made by the local lds... i know i can get it altered, just too much $$$... i'm gonna try the pre dive stretching, though, it's more in my price range!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom