wet suit fit - wrists & ankles does it need to be snug?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thewubsie

Registered
Reaction score
I am a new diver & at am 6'7 I have had alot of trouble finding a suit to fit correctly. I have just indulged in a purchase of a one piece semi dry and the wrist and ankles are NOT a snug fit. from elbows up and calves up the sit fits very well. also the neck closure is not snug but back & chest are good. Can this cause me problems?

The semi-dry concept is a little misleading. They are nice in that they allow relatively good performance on an off the rack suit cut in fewer sizes than would be required for a wet suit line accoodating the same range of people. The potentially sloppier fit of the semi-dry is made up to some degree by the improved seals at the ankles, wrists and neck.

However, while there is a bit more leeway with a semi-dry a poorly fitting semi-dry will, like a loose fitting wet suit, be really cold. The seals are important as is the area around the neck and shoulders. Too much slop around the arm/shoulder area will turn your semi-dry into a cold water pump every time you move your arms no matter how good the seals are.

The thing to remember too is that a great fitting wet suit will be just as warm as a good fitting semi-dry.

There are two important concepts with a wet suit, fit and the material thickness. The fit keeps water from circulating in and out of the suit. Material thickness is the insulation you need. The thicker the suit, the warmer it is IF there is no circulating water. The deeper you go, the thinner the suit becomes, so if you are going fairly deep (40-60 feet), and in cold water, you will want more than the semi-dry suit. You need layers, provided by the Farmer John bottoms and jacket. You may want to get a custom fitted wet suit. I understand that they are still made, but not as much as 20 years ago.

For a discussion, search for the thread on Clear Lake in this Exposure Suit topic area. I have a fairly extensive discussion of wet suits there.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom