wet suit first time buyer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twofor2

Registered
Reaction score
Simple enough question. If you have your measurements down is it possible to buy a wet suit online and still have it fit or would you suggest buying a wet suit at your LDS?

Yes, and yes.
You might be okay buying online, especially if a brand has a size chart that runs "true" and you have a body type/shape that is within norms, whatever they might be.

But that requires a bit more luck than actually trying one on. Hopefully LDS will provide more info than just size to help make the right purchase decision, too. Not all wetsuits are created equal.

Simple enough question. If you have your measurements down is it possible to buy a wet suit online and still have it fit or would you suggest buying a wet suit at your LDS?

I'd buy what you can try on.

For example, I recently bought a Pinnacle wetsuit based on their listed measurements that were the same as the Henderson suit I normally wear (which is actually a little big on me). Despite having the same listed measurements, I had to return the Pinnacle as it was way too small.

We sell wetsuits - online. If you follow our size charts, the suits will fit. If you think otherwise, then we accept returns of unused suits.

Yea wetsuit fitment is all over the place. You'll need to read reviews and follow their advice. For example, I recently ordered THIS. My body size when reading the charts says I "should" fit a large, but the reviews all said to go 2 sizes up so I did and the 2XL fits perfectly. Leisure Pro is also really easy to deal with for returns. I bought three of THESE, all in different sizes, then returned the two I didn't need. It's easier than it sounds, and all my local dive shops carry a crap selection for thick suits, so I didn't have an option. Best of luck!

- Leafy

We use to sell O'neill dive wet suits and they were pretty true to size . They also offered
a tall version on most sizes . I agree to go to your local dive shop and see what they have
to offer . Good luck and Happy Holidays !
Sea Dwellers

Leisure Pro has a Manhattan store and one of the broadest ranges of wetsuit product lines that I've seen anywhere. From what they say on their website, it does not have all of the products at that location they will bring in what you want to try from their North-Jersey wharehouse if you contact them in advance.

Anecdotal report from my recent 3mm suit shopping:
- Henderson Thermaxx - Accurate sizing - great, stretchy suit with a weird semi-rigid spine pad that I found horribly anoying. Not overly warm in the store.
- ScubaPro/SubGear Definition - Cut very tight in shoulders, chest and arms. Great features IMO, not super stretchy, very warm in store.
- Waterproof W3 - Accurate sizing - Great features, not real stretchy, but bio-contoured. It didn't feel as warm in air as the Definition, but the superior ankle and wrist seals should significantly help cut water exchange and improve warmth.

Bare has numerous options in each size fo tall/short, skinny/plump, etc. I just bought a 5 mil from Leisure Pro and it fits great (medium/short).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom