Wet suit alterations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDubaDave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Most of the 100 dives I have logged have been in the warm summer waters of the Caribbean :) using my good 'ol 4/3 shorty so I'm not an expert on various wet suit options. When the water temp get's much below 80F the shorty doesn't quite do it and I use my 4/3 full one piece suit. I dread the thought of using it.:depressed: I've only used a few times. It's a Body Glove and it fits like one and once its on it's fine and sized right. But it takes so much effort to pull it on and off I'm just about worn out for the dive.

I had a thought that if there was a side zipper in the leg from the knee down if might be a heck of a lot easier to at least get the bottom half on and off. I'm wondering if that would be an easy alteration to get done or if it makes sense?

Anyone know of any wet suits on the market already with similar leg zippers? I know with the zipper there's risk of a little leakage but the suit fits snug around my legs anyway so I don't think a little water penetration down there would be bothersome.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly, because the post title is about wetsuit alterations but then you are asking if there are any wetsuits on the market already with long leg zippers (?) (No biggie but in case you are wondering why I'm maybe not answering the right question.... )

1) Terrapin Westuits make custom suits and also alter existing suits. I have not sent them a suit, but I did discuss a possible alteration over the phone with them and they seemed very knowledgeable, helpful, and reasonable.

Wetsuit Repair | Wetsuits Women | Men | Kids | Wet Suits

2) Wetwear is another custom suit maker, and they not only make suits with full arm and leg zippers, but they seem to encourage people to go with that option. I don't know whether or not they alter suits.

Welcome to Wetwear - Custom Wet Suits of Rubatex Neoprene for Scuba Diving and All Water Activities

3) This probably sounds hopelessly dated, but years ago I used to make my own kayaking wetsuits, booties, and etc. (the type we used were not available for purchase like they are now; or at least not that anyone knew about). To install zippers we would just cut a slit and then glue a good, YKK zipper in. No sewing. We never took them to depth (if that would matter?), but they did hold up to a lot of sitting, bending, stretching, and that sort of thing.

4) Have you tried wearing a full "coverall" Lycra-type dive skin under the wetsuit? That can make them much easier to don.

My primary intent of this thread was the question of alterations. I asked about existing suits as a point of reference to see if the alteration might make sense. Blue sparkles' response indicates there are such suits out there with similar zippers so I'm not off my rocker. I don't know if I want to try an alteration myself (I'd have to get the appropriate zipper) yet. I think first I will call the LDSs and see if they have any local recommendations for alterations. I need the suit in 3 weeks. Have not tried a coverall (don't have one) but thought about trying the old plastic bag trick. The suit is so tight putting on I don't know that it will slide more easily over anything other than plastic. I haven't used it much so it's still pretty much like new.

I had the same issue, sent mine to Wetsuit Repairs in CA and got leg and arm zippers installed. Great job and reasonable.

Have not tried a coverall (don't have one) but thought about trying the old plastic bag trick. The suit is so tight putting on I don't know that it will slide more easily over anything other than plastic. I haven't used it much so it's still pretty much like new.

I find that a Lycra dive skin (coverall) does make suit donning quite a bit easier. I have one suit that is a bit tighter (5mm that is not as good a fit as my 3mm), and it definitely helps. I don't always use it for the first dive, but I sometimes use it for a later dive (because the wet wetsuit is harder to don). I already had one because I had used it for snorkeling (and I still do wear it for summer diving and snorkeling with no wetsuit).

So I sent my wet suit to Terrapin Wetsuits in TX and had 8" wrist and 22" leg zippers installed. Workmanship looks great and the suit is much easier to don and doff in the house at least. Now the next test will be the dive boat and leak test next week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom