Wet or drysuit in New Zealand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HAiko:
Does it make sense to wear some undergarments under a wetsuit for insulation? I know it's all wet, but would, let say, a t-shirt (or more) be any comfort?

Yes and no. I tend to wear a nylon rash vest - more for comfort than warmth. It's a smooth material and the seams tend to be worn away from the skin to avoid rubbing.

If you're interested in warmth, have a look at this:

http://www.fourthelement.com/content.php?content=home.php

I wear fourth element gear under my drysuit and I know people who wear it under their wetsuits. It's claimed to be neutrally bouyant (slightly far fetched IMHO, but I do wear less weight in my drysuit than with a conventional undersuit) and makes a huge difference to warmth - around the same as another 3mm of neoprene. It's good stuff!

You can also try Thermal Underwear. Just drop down to the Warehouse or somewhere similar and by polypropelene shirt and long johns. They work great.

I personally use a Merino Thermal top and that works fantastic.

Wearing clothing such as a T shirt under your wetsuit does help by restricting the flow of water within the suit. As for wetsuit/drysuit going by this year (so far) and the previous, I'd wear a drysuit at least up until close to Christmas. Drysuits are quite good
even in summer you just need to wear less under them. Thermal underwear as Azza
stated is a good cheap alternative and its what I use.

Back
Top Bottom