Wet or Dry & Where to Buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Duddridge

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everybody!

This summer I am starting to do some training locally (Manitoba, Canada) at a freshwater lake that has water temps in the 5-6 degrees C (41-42 F) range as soon as you get below the thermocline. I haven't purchased an exposure suit for these conditions yet, and I was hoping to get some advice before doing so.

I can get a good 7mil wetsuit for about $300 locally, or I can spend $1500-$2500 for a drysuit and underwear. I'm wondering if I should even bother buying a wetsuit or just go directly to a dry suit. I've already got a 3 mil wetsuit for warm water diving, and I don't want to buy a thick wetsuit and only end up using it one or two months out of a four month dive season.

So... couple of questions I was hoping you could help me out with.

1. Given the temps I've described above, would you recommend a drysuit... or duke it out with a wetsuit?

2. What type of drysuit would you recommend? If I am doing 25-50 dives a year, would you go with something like a Bare or spend the extra cash on a DUI?

3. I'm trying to decide whether to get my suit locally where I think I might pay a bit more or see if I can get one cheaper in the US. I was chatting with the owner of a local dive shop here in Winnipeg, and he roughly quoted me about $1400-$1500 for a Bare NextGen drysuit package (with underwear) and approximately $2500 (or more) for a DUI drysuit with underwear. Do those prices seem reasonable, or could I do a lot better with a larger US dealer?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Mark

Mark

Living only a short way from you I dive virtually the whole year in a DUI CF200 drysuit. As you know our thermocline layers never warm up much past 45 F. I also have a 3 mil wetsuit and add a 3 mil shorty if I am diving and know I am not going much deeper than 30 ft in the warm months.

The longevity of a good drysuit (my first one had between 6-7 hundred dives) before I experienced any problems making for a good investment. Didn't even hesitate to buy my second one.

Take into account DUI is my preference and I'm sure several will weigh in with their own thoughts.

TG

Hmmmm, let me think about that for about a millisecond.....drysuit. I might be considered a wimp in some circles but in the Northeast where it never gets quite Caribbean I wear a drysuit year round. Sometimes on the surface in 90* sun it really can be quite miserable, but an hour in 50* water usually cures that right quick. A drysuit is going to allow you longer bottom times and give you more enjoyment from the dive as you will not be freezing your **fins** off!!

Bare is located in Canada and they make a good suit. DUI is also a great suit but yes, it does tend to be pricier. Most well-made drysuits last a long time with good care. One in our shop is on it's fourth owner. I would keep looking into Bare. They're local (as in the same country) and no issues with Customs etc if a suit has to be sent in for modifications etc. If you decide you want to sell and go for a DUI drysuits seem to hold more of their value as compared to a wetsuit.

Just my 2psi.

Good luck with your search!

I dive wet in 42. Its cold and being cold like that sucks. I wear a 7mil SP Hyperstretchy type, a 3 mil hooded vest, and a 7 mil hooded vest, 5mil gloves, and 7 boots. I get cold on multiple dives. I have to bring hot water and a lot of heavy dry clothes and switch them out for every trip. So, 3 trips with 2 dives per trip is a lot of clothes plus, I dry my wetsuits in the dryer between trips. It sucks but, I love to dive.

Get a drysuit.

I dive dry in anything under 70 degrees. Look at the cost to benefit aspect as well. Yeah you can get a 7 mil for 300 bucks but it will limit your diving and those days you can dive by the end of the second I'd bet you'll be pretty cold. Go dry and 2-3 dives are more than doable. Also a 300 dollar 7 mil may last you what, 3 yrs or so. A good dry suit properly taken care of may last you 10-15 years. Yeah you'll replace seals-likely, perhaps a zipper-hopefully not within the first 5-7 yrs. BUt even so take into account just seals and if you are careful you can do them yourself. Both suits you gave for examples are good suits. The BARE is a nice one and excellent value for the price. DUI no question good suit but you might be paying some for the name. I have an OS Systems HD Pro with about 100 dives on it now and it's like new. I got mine with the commercial dry glove system, light and heavy undies, and semicustom cut for 1600 including tax and shipping. Mine is also 3 yrs old going on 4 and I've put most of those dives on in the last year. As to better prices it depends on the size. Are you an off the rack or will you need custom fit? If it does not fit right you'll be miserable. Keep checking and listen to the opinions then do what feels right for you and your circumstances but I'll again say for what you are talking about dry is the only option I'd consider.

I dive the Pacific, off Southern California. 10 months a year I need a drysuit. I usually boat dive and in a wet suit, my core becomes colder each day. I'm also a photographer so I stop a LOT. Lack of movement = cold. 4 years ago I bought a DUI TLS drysuit and have loved it. I know other divers in Bare drysuits and they like them too. I bought the DUI suit because I think DUI has the best exhust valves in the business. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks a lot everybody. Really appreciate all of your feedback. You've pretty much got me convinced that dry is the way to go for my situation.

On the issue of sizing... since most of the local dive shops in Winnipeg don't carry much selection in the way of drysuits since they can't turn them over fast enough, is it possible to accurately determine my size by just taking my measurements and then ordering based on that?

On the issue of sizing... since most of the local dive shops in Winnipeg don't carry much selection in the way of drysuits since they can't turn them over fast enough, is it possible to accurately determine my size by just taking my measurements and then ordering based on that?

Yep, we do it all the time and have never had an ill fitting suit. We have a measurement form that we have online customers fill out, and we match the suit to their size. We have even done full custom suits and even sent one to Baghdad for a soldier....all perfect fits. When they know what they are doing, any shop should be able to get you the right size :wink: From drysuit to wetsuit...let me know if you need some help

All right... I'm pretty much convinced to go dry. Next step... which one...

I've got three "models" I am looking at.

1. Bare Nex-Gen - Seems like the general consensus is that this suit does well for most people but has been known to have a few problems. One retailer told me it fits terribly, while another said fit is no problem at all. One retailer told me he has had no problems with leaks or manufacturing problems, another one said he has tons of problems. Hmmm... lack of consensus here. Package Price Point - About $1000-$1500 for a package (difference between online and local).

2. DUI TLSSE - This is the suit recommended by Dan's Dive Shop here in Canada. Only a bit more expensive than the Bare Nex-Gen, but according to Dan's, a much better suit. Better fit. Better workmanship. Better durability. Fewer problems. Package Price Point - About $1200

3. Whites Fusion - Just heard about this one from my local dive shop. Started poking around Scubaboard and got some excellent reviews on this suit. If you believe the reviews, it's a great suit at a reasonable price. Package Price Point - About $1500.

Any comments/recommendations given these three options?

I have the Fusion Tech w/pockets and Im absolutely in LOVE with it :D I have worn/owned many different suits, and settled in on the Fusion. At the $1500 price point you have on the FUsion, you can get alot of suit in the packages they have set up :wink:

Back
Top Bottom