Wet lens for E-520/620 DSLR housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi all

I wonder if amongst some of you smarties anyone has put a wet lens on a PPO-E05 or in fact any port that does not have a thread to attach to?

I have been looking at a TC 1.4 plus the extension port to add to my 50mm macro lens and it ain't cheap to get a 40% improvement and go greater than 1:1.

Any ideas would be welcome.

I know I am mean, but being mean, doesn't mean, I mean to be mean? :crazyeye:

I have the Athena port for my 50mm and use an Ion wet lens with it occasionally. I also have the 1.4 teleconverter which is my favorite macro setup. Its a bunch of money for the teleconverter but it works great.

I'm sure you are aware, but in case not, there are two available ports from Athena and Inon that have M67 thrreads. They also allow manual focus using a magnetic ring, or you can use the Olympus "zoom" gear. I have not seen a solution to adding wet macro lenses to the PP-E05 port - you might be able to make one yourself similar to the one for the port on the PT-EP0X housings, but the dedicated macro ports seem much nicer to use -- at a price of course.

Doesn't a close up lens screwed onto the end of a lens give you more magnification with no light loss? Not a wet lens to be sure, but I'm using it on my PT-EP01 setup successfully.

Last edited:
Ardy,

I would think that most that have used the X1.4 tele converter would say that is by far their most used 50 mm macro combo, it is mine for sure. I also have the X2 tele converter and two Inon 165 close-up lenses which are also 67 mm and can be stacked. I have used the x2 converter with the two inon lenses but the 1.4 is still me go to macro setup with one or two of the Inon lenses if I need to go smaller.

Love the Inon and Athena ports. With the Inon port you only need the one gear for manual focus regardless of the 50 mm and tele converter combo you are using.

Phil Rudin

Ardy,

I would think that most that have used the X1.4 tele converter would say that is by far their most used 50 mm macro combo, it is mine for sure. I also have the X2 tele converter and two Inon 165 close-up lenses which are also 67 mm and can be stacked. I have used the x2 converter with the two inon lenses but the 1.4 is still me go to macro setup with one or two of the Inon lenses if I need to go smaller.

Love the Inon and Athena ports. With the Inon port you only need the one gear for manual focus regardless of the 50 mm and tele converter combo you are using.

Phil Rudin

Phil wonderful advice as is your usual MO. What I should have said is that I am REALLY MEAN not passingly mean or only mean on Mondays. I am mean and by that it means I am looking for a cheap solution. New ports etc etc are not an option.

If I could hold the bloody lens in front of my port successfully I would. It is only my fear of a leak that is stopping me from modifying the front of my port at the local engineering shop to take a wet lens.

Phil wonderful advice as is your usual MO. What I should have said is that I am REALLY MEAN not passingly mean or only mean on Mondays. I am mean and by that it means I am looking for a cheap solution. New ports etc etc are not an option.

If I could hold the bloody lens in front of my port successfully I would. It is only my fear of a leak that is stopping me from modifying the front of my port at the local engineering shop to take a wet lens.

OK, here is a way. Your port should have come with a soft plastic cover. Cut a hole in the center and epoxy a 77-67 step down ring into it after cutting off the 77 threads and smoothing on a belt sander. Use velcro fuzzy tape on the inside to protect your port glass from scratching. You now have a slip-on M67 adapter. Cheap. Ugly too. Mean enough?

You could possibly machine a cap for the port out of say delrin that would do much the same thing. I'd still use a step ring for metal threads. More professional, but more money too.

Hi Ardy,

No need to re-invent the wheel, Athena has a way around your problem designed for their dome port for the 14-42 zoom. I think you could make it work with your dome by mounting to an arm. The big issue is that it is centered and does not touch the dome glass.

Athena Lens Caddy for 14-42 Flip Macro Adapter [ath.lc] - $49.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Phil Rudin

Yikes!! $50!!! Plus shipping!!!!! Are you out of your mind???? He's cheap, miserly, mean, tight, penny-pinching, barato, kuripot...

Actually, I never thought I would see an Athena product costing under $100. This looks pretty slick, with the lens caddy built in. Nice find....

If you are as cheap as you say I think you have picked the wrong hobby. U/W photography can be a bit like crack in that you just keep wanting more diving and more equipment.

Phil

Yikes!! $50!!! Plus shipping!!!!! Are you out of your mind???? He's cheap, miserly, mean, tight, penny-pinching, barato, kuripot...

Actually, I never thought I would see an Athena product costing under $100. This looks pretty slick, with the lens caddy built in. Nice find....

I was partially correct. The macro lens adapter is under $100, but the lens caddy shown costs another $50. That's Athena, expensive but worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom