Wet in the winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pacchill

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So, with a new found dive location with almost daily access, I gonna dive A LOT. I say ALMOST daily because I wana stay married. lol Anyway, how well will a 5 or 7 mil work out for the winter. I really wana move into a dry suit, but right now that just is not the best option money wise. I dived my 4.3 yesterday, and Friday night (75 min bottom time) and felt fine. Friday I did have an extra 3 mil over the core and a hood. My thinking is I can get away with being wet this winter and saving for a nice TLS350 for next winter. I'm worried more about adding extra weight and killing my trim, then getting a little chill. Any advice, besides ''suck it up now and get a dry suit"
PacChill

Some of our clients dive wet year round, in 2 piece 5 mm. suits. I dove in February this year and it was a balmy 18C on the surface and 18 in the water. A few years ago, in February, it was 14 degrees in the water.

My policy is to dive wet for all Open Water Courses, so even in November/December, I am wearing a 2 piece 5 mm. suit, and I always wear a hood.

In the winter, I switch to either a trilam or compressed neoprene drysuit with drygloves.

For better value, I suggest that you take a look at the Diving Concepts trilam suit, you can get more features for the money, especially on a custom suit. Disclaimer: Mar Scuba sells DC drysuits.

Nice pitch for DC Mar lol. I have looked at the DC trilam. That is my second pick, I plan on moving back to San Diego so that is really why I lean towards DUI. They are local for service, and upgrades. Besides, who can resist a company that refers to their clients as DOGs lol.
I would love a trilam now, but I have way to many gear requirements at the moment. I think I am going to try and pull off using a 7mm this winter. UNLESS my wife talks with Santa and they hook me up lol. I'm not planing on that to happen though.
Willie

Hi Willie
I've logged temps as low as 10C around Izu in Feb last year. The usual is 12 to 15. What really hurts in Feb is when you get out of the water and the wind might be blowing or raining. In the drysuit, you just pump up the air once out of the water and you are toasty.

As far as the TLS 350, Greg over your way swears by the CF200 material for Japan. I did have a lot of leaks in my TLS350 over the last few years, and as you know, I'm switching to a new material. Shore dives on Japan seem to favor a hardy material, TLS350 is nice for boat diving.

Another big consideration is the boot material. I trashed two pairs of turbo soles on shore entries here. Not a good option for lava rock entries I have concluded. I don't like turbo soles either. On my next suit, I will use some kind of aquasock attached to the suit, and then put a regular wetsuit bootie over that like James does (I believe). I am hoping that this will allow me to still use the same fin I use wet...James can tell you more about that...

Disclaimer... We are the Distributor of DUI in Japan...

Most of our customers buy turbosoles and we have very few that change to socks (wetsuit or rockboots) - and we have very few replacements. Actually several switch from socks to turbosoles. I have only changed my turbosoles ones on the first suit I bought (stock size, turbosoles to big anyway). I only dive dry here (with the exception of 1-2 times a year when I teach rescue) and do at least 200 dives a year. Most are deco or cave dives. Socks and boots make it necessary with quite big fins and may not be as warm as turbosoles unless the boot size is quite big. Many use a wellington-style boot for very cold water diving (most of my Swedish friends are ok with turbosoles even for very cold water).

All drysuits may leak. Therefore, it is also important to consider availability of service when investing in a drysuit. We repair leaks and replace seals within a few days and sometimes also conduct workshops on repair and seal replacement for customers.

Back
Top Bottom