Wet decompression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apologies. I didn't quite understand the differences and promptly forgot the details of what I read there. :confused: Is it just that there's a missed deco stop and no DCS symptoms yet? Is that the only situation where one should(?) descend to some depth(?) again? I'd like to better understand procedures if a stop is missed in such a situation.
In in-water recompression, the diver has surfaced and has shown signs of decompression sickness. A treatment is then commenced in the hope of effecting a cure for the malady that has already set in. It is a rare occurrence.

In a missed decompression scenario, a diver misses a stop and then redescends as soon as soon as possible in the hope of preventing the malady from occurring. Just taking the wildest of guesses, I suppose it happens hundreds of times a day around the world as people lose buoyancy control, blow past a safety stop, and redescend to do it. Most recreational computers allow you a certain amount of time to get back down for that purpose. In technical diving, different agencies have different protocols for how to do it, depending upon the depth of the missed stop and the amount of time that has passed before the diver gets back down.It is generally a part of their training.

Apologies. I didn't quite understand the differences and promptly forgot the details of what I read there. :confused: Is it just that there's a missed deco stop and no DCS symptoms yet? Is that the only situation where one should(?) descend to some depth(?) again? I'd like to better understand procedures if a stop is missed in such a situation.

This is covered in the Advanced Nitrox and Deco Courses. Maybe sign up for class?

@boulderjohn Thanks! I'm not doing any tech diving and not planning on incurring deco obligations, but sounds like something good to know.

This is covered in the Advanced Nitrox and Deco Courses. Maybe sign up for class?
Definitely! I'm currently signed up for PADI Rescue, but would love to take a Nitrox class sometime. The most likely candidate is PADI Enriched Air, though I'm not sure that would cover deco.

@boulderjohn Thanks! I'm not doing any tech diving and not planning on incurring deco obligations, but sounds like something good to know.

Definitely! I'm currently signed up for PADI Rescue, but would love to take a Nitrox class sometime. The most likely candidate is PADI Enriched Air, though I'm not sure that would cover deco.
It won’t, but it’s a good first step toward understanding the physics and physiology of mixed gas diving.

There's a lot of stuff you're told in OW classes that's going to get, umm,, adjusted, as you move through your education. Beyond that, theories regarding decompression are constantly being tested and revised. I've been diving for 44 years and I can tell you with enthusiasm, that a lot of what I was taught, and that I went on to teach, is out the window now. Ascent rates, NDLs, "Silent Bubbles"... I could go on for an hour.

This is why you need to look at your entry-level certification as a "learner's permit" of sorts. It's just the beginning, and at this point, you don't even know what you don't know! (But that's ok, if you stick to the diving you're trained for).

Thanks for the encouragement! Always itching to learn more and dive more and improve. I feel like I’ve learned quite a bit just from poking around here and absorbing what I can.

Don't get why deco is discussed in this incident, as I understand from the OP they missed their safety stop? Seems like they panicked and were still in a panic mode when they surfaced. 30 ft is not a factor for either deco or safety stop, 40 and 19 ft sound more like deco stop depths and 16 for a safety stop in rec diving. IMO due to the situation they were confused and panicked even at the surface and because training said you have to stop at a certain depth and they didn't it was a fear of the unknown more than anything else, still can't figure why they would note 30ft, maybe I'm missing something

Don't get why deco is discussed in this incident, as I understand from the OP they missed their safety stop? Seems like they panicked and were still in a panic mode when they surfaced. 30 ft is not a factor for either deco or safety stop, 40 and 19 ft sound more like deco stop depths and 16 for a safety stop in rec diving. IMO due to the situation they were confused and panicked even at the surface and because training said you have to stop at a certain depth and they didn't it was a fear of the unknown more than anything else, still can't figure why they would note 30ft, maybe I'm missing something
You aren't missing anything.

I am not sure, but I think I remember the video in question, and I will describe it. If it is not the video in question, it is one just like it, and we can learn from the one I am describing anyway. In the one I recall, a family is about to begin a dive, and a young boy is wearing a GoPro on his head. They begin a descent. During that descent, the boy begins to plummet rapidly and panic. The rapid descent is blamed on a downcurrent, but other divers in camera rage don't seem to be affected by it. An adult, probably the father, catches up with him and inflates his BCD. At that point the downcurrent stops, and they begin the ascent with ease. Eventually they lose control of buoyancy and go all the way to the surface, at which point they redescend for the missed stop.

The incident is blamed on a downcurrent, but I saw no evidence of one in the video. Here is an alternative explanation for what you see. The boy with the GoPro is inexperienced and likely overweighted. He begins the descent by dumping all the air from his BCD, but as he becomes more negative and his descent speeds up, he does not add air the BCD and panics--an all too common occurrence for a new diver. His father catches up and adds air. Because the boy is overweighted, they have to add a lot of air. As they ascend, that air expands, and the boy who did not add air on descent does not expel air on ascent, so he goes all the way to the surface--an all too common occurrence for a new diver.

Regardless of which story is true, the family does not appear to be highly experienced. The descent to 30 feet is by no means standard protocol for a missed safety stop. No agency I know calls for that. No descent was necessary in this case to prevent DCS--you do not get any appreciable nitrogen load in a minute or two of diving. The most dangerous aspect of the rapid ascent--and it is very dangerous--is the possibility that the boy could suffer a gas embolism from holding his breath during that ascent. In that case, going back down creates the danger of not being able to provide any help in the event symptoms of such an embolism might appear.

In short, in the video I saw, a family without a lot of experience and diving knowledge suffers a cascade of problems, and nothing in the video should be taken as a model for the behavior of anyone else.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom