Western Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cross posted this on a Sayulita PV thread and someone replied they dove yesterday at Los Arcos and visibility was awful due to a big algae bloom.. just as a heads up to you since you will be there same time...

Oh well, for the first time in ages I'm going on a trip where diving is secondary (well, sort of) so I'll just hope for the best. Unfortunately my girlfriend is finishing her certification in PV so I hope it's not too bad.

I just looked at PV Adventure's web site and to me it looks like scuba diving is a sideline and they seem to concentrate more on weddings and ziplining and such a wide variety of other activities that they would not be my first choice unless perhaps I was planning on getting married while there.

Last edited:
OK, so I''m in PV and have done four dives so far. The visibility has been not-too-bad but that is mainly after you get down past the thermocline and it is COLD, like somewhere around 60 F! The good news is that I saw a LOT of critters such as morays and stingrays and some sea horses and several nudibranchs. Many of the morays are out in the open and it's one right after another. I've never seen schools of porcupine fish before! All of our dives have been South of Mismaloya and I will find out the names of the dives sites, hopefully tomorrow.

We are diving with Marc and Chris of PV Ocean Tours and they are first rate. My girlfriend completed her OW course and Marc is an excellent instructor.

Last edited:
We did not even attempt Los Arcos because it is all stirred up there. In many places the surface looks foamy and the water is very green. Our first two dives were at Majhuitas. In the shallower parts there were tons of fishes and stingrays were common and we also saw several morays. We visited a "shipwreck" and there were countless morays out in the open plus many stonefish and numerous other fishes. In short, the visibility (15-30 feet and sometimes a little more) may not be all that great but there is a lot of life down there.

Our second two dives were at Las Calletas and we didn't see as many morays and only one ray but we did see several nudibranchs, amazing-looking urchins, schools of porcupines, and dozens of other large schools of a variety of fishes. We also saw two seahorses.

I only brought my "tropics" wetsuit as I'm used to 80 degrees F or more at this latitude but ended up adding a 3mm vest and hoods and was shivering. I suggest at least a 5mm full suit and hood and booties. According to PV Ocean Tours the water temp is expected to warm up in the very near future but warm water might also bring more algae.

We are planning another dive in a few days with the hope that it might be a bit warmer.

I am looking at booking a trip to PV in late October, early November. Anyone have any experience around that time of year? Hoping for better vis than this time of year. Thanks.

I am looking at booking a trip to PV in late October, early November. Anyone have any experience around that time of year? Hoping for better vis than this time of year. Thanks.

Well, I dove Los Arcos in late January in 2013 and it was about 20'-30' visibility, if that's any help. Right now Los Arcos is considered un-divable so I guess that was good.

To me the "limited" visibility isn't the issue, it's the water temperature. I can have a very enjoyable dive with only 15' visibility or so as long as there are lots of critters etc. but I wasn't prepared for 60 degree F or less. I do not recall ever hitting a thermocline in 2013 and was very comfortable in a 3 mm full jumpsuit. This time I wore my snug-fitting 2.5 mm along with a 3 mm vest and hood and was shivering. If I had known I would have just brought my California farmer john and hood.

PV Moray Big.jpg PV Stingray1.jpg Seahorse Good.jpg

Thanks JamesBon. We will probably bring our 7 mil suits just in case. Booked the trip so hopefully it is good.

I live in Baja and run a little diveshop (Blue Nation - Diving & Snorkeling in the Sea of Cortez) in Loreto (few hours north of La Paz). I loved the caribbean side for many years, but at the end is the Sea of Cortez the one that won my heart. If you never dove here i recommend you plan a little visit. You have an incredible variety of life, more than in the caribbean side. Its seasonal too which means you get to see different stuff throughout the year. You get to see sea lions (pups during breeding season), whales, dolphins, very very thick schools fo fish and the UW scenery is way more variated too. Los Cabos is quick diving, boat rides take 5 min and the diving is fine, but to me its very very overwcrowed with divers, swimmers, paddelboarders etc etc and there is not many divesites to choose from at the end of the day. But some divesites are great.
Cabo Pulmo is a very succesful marine reserve and you get to see a lot of fish, a lot! Great small community with nice dives. Worth visit
La Paz is perfect to see the whalesharks (literally 5 min from the marina) and has a lot of very good dive sites and wreck dives. Really cool the only downside is that most boat rides are really really long. Save the whole day for a day trip

Loreto lies a few hours from La Paz (you can drive there or you can fly from LAX or Los Cabos. From Canada during the winter season too). Its a charming town and one of my favorites places when it comes to outdoor activities and diving in particular. That is why I chose to be here! There is a Marine Park and 3 main islands that are really close by. The dive variety is great and there is so much to see. Sea lions colonies are also present here and during the season is the best place in Baja to see blue whales. You can find some more info about the place here

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom